Possible spoilage, but unsure, so would like advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguinfogel

Reaction score
This is not my first brew, but it is my first gruit, and I'm having issues.

7lb light malt extract
3/4 lb Roasted Barley
1/4 lb Chocolate Malt
1/4 lb 60 Crystal Malt
1/4 lb CaraPills
2.5 oz Yarrow
1.5 oz Bogmyrtle
1 oz or so Sweet Gale
about 1oz Fennel Seed
Nottingham Ale Yeast

I have no readings of the original or ending gravity due to the fact that my hydrometer broke, so I just gave it about 14 days to ferment, then racked it to a secondary, where it sat out, but loosely covered for about 15 min because I couldnt siphon it directly into the carboy directly, then it was in secondary for several more days. So it could be spoilage, or improper fermentation for all I know. After bottling I noticed that the beer was cloudy but didnt think anything of it. Anyway I've cracked 2 seperate bottles for sampling, and although they both smelt herby, both have been extra ordinarily fruity and sweet, but no vinegar taste. My question is wether or not this beer has spoiled, and if it's possible to salvage. The beer isnt super objectionable, but it deffinatly doesnt taste great. That with the fact that it gives me heartburn, and the fact it wont carbonate isn't helping its case.

Sounds like it is just green. 14 days in the primary is good, "a couple days" in the secondary should be a couple weeks? I have never used Gruit but would assume it needs to age the same as Hops bittered.

Have you had one before? I never have so nothing to compare the flavors to.

Thanks for the responses. I have never in my entire life had a gruit beer, which was the reason for asking on here since I'm in uncharted territories. I wouldn't have jumped to spoilage, but the beer is deffinatly sweeter then it was when I moved it to secondary. I always draw off samples whenever I do anything to my beer so I can taste whats going on. Also, I know it needed more then 4 or 5 days in the secondary, but I am so darn impatient :)

K put out feelers to some gruit brewers, and am now fairly certain it's a spoiled batch. Thanks for the replies though

Latest posts

Back