Too Much Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowNotes

Reaction score
So I brewed a porter (Used Edworts Robust Porter Recipe) and pitched some washed Notty that I had in the fridge. The Notty was getting near the end of when I would expect it to be viable (was from April) but I have used yeast this old before, as my washing rocess is prett good, and my fidge stays at a very consistent 40*.

The problem I had, is that I forgot to make a starter. I have forgetten that the night before on a few other occasions, and will typically just warm up the yeast, and make 1 cup of wort usng DME to hopefully prime the fermentation while I am brewing. Basically, a small stater that only goes for 5 hours.

I waited about 36 hours, and there was no real airlock activity, and the temp on the fermenterwas not showing the typical warmer temps from acive fermentation. I keep a pack of dry S-05 around for emergencies, and decided to be safe and pitch that too, instead of risking infection by leaving my wort sitting around for too long prior to fermentation.

When I opened the lid to add the S-05, there was what appeared to be a very small krausen...but it looked like it could havealso just been bubbles from my original aertion still on the surface. At any rate, I had already torn open my S-05 and decided to just pitch it.

About 7 hours later, lots of airlock activity, and fermentation is obviousl going strong.

So my main question are:

Is it possible that the S-05 kicked into gear that fast, or is it more likely that it just took th Notty that extra bit of time to get going?

Am I likely to suffer any consequences from pitching too-much of two different strains of yeast? Either off flavors or odd fermentation?

I am inclined to RDWHAHB, and I figure there isn't much to do at this point no matter what, but I was curious what the experienced brewers here thought.

It is likely that you will get flavor from both yeasts. But it should not be any problem.
Some breweries use multiple yeast strains for flavor.

You could have created something really tasty!
Hmmm...Now I want to try the same thing!

It is likely that you will get flavor from both yeasts. But it should not be any problem.
Some breweries use multiple yeast strains for flavor.

You could have created something really tasty!
Hmmm...Now I want to try the same thing!

Great! That puts my mind at ease. The only other time I brewed this recipe it turned out to be tremendously good, so I am excited to see how this batch does with my minor flub on the yeast.

I'll post how it turns out in the thread in a few weeks.

It was probably the SA-05 that kicked off the fermentation. Hold the wort temp in the low 60°F range. Notty can produce some funky flavors in the upper 60°s.

The bubbles you saw when you opened the bucket were almost certainly krausen, I'd be willing to bet that the notty was taking off when you added the 05 and the 05 probably won't be a major player in this batch. Considering the off flavors that notty can throw when it gets into the mid-60's or higher, and considering 05 will still work fine in the low-60's, your safest bet is to ferment this like it is infected with just the notty and keep the temp low.

Back