Grinding leaf hops in coffee grinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyblinkin

Reaction score
I've read a lot of threads and recipes where people grind their leaf hops with a coffee grinder before adding them to the boil or dry hop. I just bought a large amount of Simcoe and Amarillo leaf hops that I want to make an IPA with. Just was wondering what the advantages or disadvantages would be to grinding the hops.

Advantages: none
Disadvantages: big mess

The cone petals are very thin and the resin particles are small. The oils and bittering compounds will make it into the brew without any help. No craft brewery does this, so I can only wonder what people are thinking.

I imagine there would be as many hop oils in the grinder as any advantage of utilization in the boil.

Industrial pellets are made in grinders that do hundreds of pounds, only so much oil can coat the grinder so much more stays in the hops than in small batches

Much of the advantage of using whole hops is that they are large pieces that can be easily strained out.

Thanks for the replies. Not sure if I read this on this forum or another. Whole leaf hops clog my system when I transfer to my carboy, and I can't always find the varieties a want in pellets. Still, I will find a new way to strain the hops instead grinding them.

There's no reason to grind them whatsoever. It's a waste of time that will not yield better results.

Wrap your racking cane with a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag and it will prevent any issues with clogging.

heyblinkin said:
Thanks for the replies. Not sure if I read this on this forum or another. Whole leaf hops clog my system when I transfer to my carboy, and I can't always find the varieties a want in pellets. Still, I will find a new way to strain the hops instead grinding them.

You can always place them in a reusable hops bag during the boil.

Back