"Classy" Beer Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinwilson

Reaction score
I recently found something called Free Beer(free as in speech, not as in beer). It is an open source beer. The recipe is copyrighted under the GPL and is posted on the website so anyone can make the beer. The people who made it made one batch in Denmark and one in San Fransisco. The bottles they used in Denmark look almost like wine bottles(pic of bottles) and I thought they looked very classy. I emailed the people who make this beer and they told me that those bottles are 70cl beer bottles. I have found some 350 mL wine bottles that look similar but I don't think they can be capped. Has anyone seen bottles like these in stores or on-line that can be capped?

Are wine bottles capable of handling pressure? I have heard there is a difference between champagne bottles and wine bottles because champagne creates a lot of pressure on the container.

Corking beer is not a good idea. I suppose it might be possible but you'd have to have a way to cage or cap up the cork so it didn't get shot out by the pressure. To me, it just seems like it would be more hassle than it's worth. Flip tops, baby!!!

I think Ed Wort corks his Apfelwein. I've also seen it done on Belgians. So, I know you CAN do it, I just don't know how.

You have to use champagne bottles as they are designed to hold pressure. Regular wine bottles are NOT. Also, you certainly can cork your beers. You will, however, have to put a cage on them just like champagne. Belgian beers are usually done in this fashion. You can generally also cap champagne or belgian bottles if you'd rather go that route.

Would you be interested in 500 ml bottles? Lobkowicz Baron dunkel (munich lager) comes in a very similar bottle, and it can be capped with standard crown caps. I like the beer (and the bottles even more) and I have amassed about 60 of them now (draining another as I speak/type!).

I couldn't find any good pictures of the bottles, but here is one poor one:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/2249.jpg

If you want a better one, let me know. I can shoot one with my digital camera and put it up

rdwj said:
I think Ed Wort corks his Apfelwein. I've also seen it done on Belgians. So, I know you CAN do it, I just don't know how.

Sorry, I no soaka da cork. I use ah da flip tops onna one liter bottles.

Apfelweinbottle.jpg

I was thinking about bottling in a Martinelli's Sparkling Cider bottle. The bottles are the size of a wine bottle, but they have a cap instead of a cork. I haven't opened one of the bottles yet so I haven't been able to make sure it isn't a screw top.

Not sure if it was exactly what you were looking for but I thought I'd share...

Back