90 Minute Boil Benefits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellysell

Reaction score
I've been looking at recipes an a lot of them seem to call for a 90 minute boil. What are the benefits of this over a 60 minute one?

I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

Thanks

The biggest reason many do 90 minute boils is to drive off DMS precursors...If you aren't doing all grain it really isn't necessary...but many grains, such as Pilsner are known for producing DMS, and therefore we boil them for 90 minutes.

Here's some info...

What is DMS?

Answer: A corn-like smell is usually due to a specific chemical compound called dimethylsulfide, called DMS for short. DMS forms in the malting process and in the boiling process while brewing any beer. It is the result of a thermal degradation of sulfur-containing amino acid in the grain called
s-methylmethionine. This amino acid is present in all malts. Hence, all beers have some amount of DMS

DMS is a highly volatile compound. This makes it an easily detectable compound in aroma, even in trace quantities. Fortunately, the volatility makes it fairly easy to scrub out of your beer.

The amount of DMS in your finished beer depends on a number of factors. First of all is the amount of s-methylmethionine in the grain. High protein malts such as six-row have higher amounts, hence more DMS. Some of the DMS is driven off by heat in the kilning process. Hence, the paler malts kilned at lower temperature have more. These two factors combined contribute to the fact that pale lagers (made from pale six-row malt), often have high levels of DMS. Not surprisingly, corn also contains a lot of s-methylmethionine. These characteristics are a hallmark of lager beers. A lager without DMS tastes rather bland.

The second factor that affects the amount of DMS is how much is removed from the wort during the boil. Every bubble of steam that comes out of the kettle will carry some DMS with it. Hence, longer boiling times and a more vigorous boil tend to reduce DMS levels. For best results, you want to keep the boil rolling for the whole time. Don't simmer your beer.

The third factor that affects DMS levels is the rate at which the beer is cooled. The decomposition reaction that converts s-methylmethionine to DMS is driven by heat. Once you shut off the heat and start cooling the wort, scrubbing action of the steam is halted. However, DMS continues to be formed until the wort is below about 160oF. Hence, a long steep will increase DMS.

The final factor (usually) is the amount of DMS that is scrubbed out during fermentation. Carbon dioxide bubbles will remove some of the DMS. Since more CO2 comes off at higher temperatures, more is scrubbed out of ales than lagers. Well-attenuated beers will be more scrubbed as well.

If you're not too careful about sanitation, you'll find that some bacteria also contribute to DMS levels. Coliform in particular is known to produce DMS. Generally, though, it will also produce other foul odors such as mercaptan (natural gas smell) and hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell), making the DMS level the least of your worries.

Generally, if you keep your boil vigorous and cool rapidly, DMS levels will be appropriate for style. However, the DMS level may still be too high for your taste. If you keg your beer, you can artificially scrub out DMS using CO2. This is best done before carbonating. If you have a lager, allow it to warm to room temperature first. Then, switch around the ball-lock fittings on your keg so they are backwards. Hook up the long dip tube (labeled "out") to the CO2 tank. Prop open the pressure relief valve. Then carefully allow CO2 to bubble through the beer. Slow down if it starts to foam out. Occasionally sniff the gas as it exits the keg. You should be able to smell the DMS at first, and then notice it fading with time. After the level has dropped, switch the ball locks back to their usual configuration. Then carbonate as usual.

Thanks Revvy

edit: Just saw a thread with the same exact title at the bottom of the page. Not sure how I missed it when I searched?

Sometimes AG brewers end up with too much volume (thin mash + batch sparge 1 + batch sparge 2) and the 90 minute boil helps boil off excess water.

I'm not sure if it's significant, but there should be more maillard reaction-related flavors in a 90 minute boil versus a 60 minute boil.

Sometimes AG brewers end up with too much volume (thin mash + batch sparge 1 + batch sparge 2) and the 90 minute boil helps boil off excess water.

I'm not sure if it's significant, but there should be more maillard reaction-related flavors in a 90 minute boil versus a 60 minute boil.

I think this is relevant as a more maillard reaction is preferred in altbiers and some scottish beers.

actually jack and beez,,,,,,maillard reaction is the least of concern for people who do 90 minute boils....this pricess stems more from the brewing of lagers than ales...there are very few lagers that what the toasty, caramel, burnt characteristics of the maillard process.....this actually is about lack of complex flavors such as that....it's more about really crisp, clean (some would say flavorless beers...

It really is more about driving off any precursors that would produce off flavors in the final priducts...like I said, almost soley DMS....

Though Jack, I would say reaching final volume is the second most popular reason for the 90 minute boil.

Sorry for the bump guys, but I've been looking for a good scottish ale recipe, and I noticed they usually use a 90 minute boil. One of the reasons stated was to caremelize the wort to get a more malty, caramelly flavor. This makes sense, but the part that didn't make too much sense is that some have a 90 minute hop addition. I was always under the impression that anything over 60 produces off flavors. So what's the scoop, y'all?

Back