Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mworkman

Reaction score
Iv'e read here that a stainless steel pot is best. I have a big kettle (black with white specs) I think it is coated with teflon not sure. Would this work ok?

Those pots are coated with enamel. They work fine. I have one of those and used it for 7 years before I finally bought myself a bigger SS kettle.

The only thing to watch out for is how thick the bottom of your pot is. Those enamel coated ones are often kind of thin, so it is possible to get some burning action going on at the bottom of the kettle during the boil. Burnt sugar tastes like hell.

-walker

Those enamel pots work fine, and they are way cheaper than ss. i think the only advantages to ss is that its durable, and transfers heat better (especially if you get a sandwiched bottom with some copper in there) plus the 'shiny' factor-where by just like squirrels, humans are naturally drawn to shiny objects like alluminum foil, copper, or stainless steele.

I am using one of these right now. Like Walker stated, they are thin, so you need to control your heat when adding extract and boiling, as it can scorch. I stir a lot with mine. Hopefully my Sanke 15G keggle will be done next week, so I will just be using the pot for small items and sanitization.

If you notic the enamel chipping off, it is time to replace, as the steel underneath will then corrode when exposed.

Truble said:
If you notic the enamel chipping off, it is time to replace, as the steel underneath will then corrode when exposed.

This is exactly what prompted me to buy my SS pot. There is a dime-sized chip of enamel missing from the floor of my enamel pot and I shelved it.

-walker

Latest posts

Back