blueberry extract ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlin Magic

Reaction score
i have done some of the kits successfully, but i would like to try something new. i had a beer called a sead dog blueberry ale when i was fishing a tournament a few weeks ago. it was awesome, and i would like to try to duplicate this as well as a sam adams cherry wheat, any suggestions. i need some help from start to finish. my equipment consists of 2 of the true brew kits, and i am planning to build a wort chiller set-up as soon as next week when i swing by an hvac supply store to get some rolled copper tubing. please help me and if possible list all of the steps as well as the ingredients along with the proper yeasts and time of prep. i know a lot about fishing offshore for marlin and tuna but am still rather new and green when it comes to the whole brewing thingas i am still learning. thanks in advance for all of your help.

I dont have a specific recipe, but I can tell you that when you put the extract in to the beer, make sure you let it sit on it for a while before you keg/bottle it. We brewed a hefe a little while ago and decided at the last minute to dump a bottle of apricot extract into it. It was waaaaay to apricoty and tasted syrupy. It wasn't a hit, which meant it survived for another week after tapping it. After a week of settling and mixing with the beer, it mellowed out much more.

As a general rule though, don't use the full amount of extract they tell you to. It might be personal taste, but a little goes a long way with that stuff.

mike

I had the same idea a while back but to try it with Watermelon extract, I tasted a Watermelon Summer Wheat before and was real good. I brewed a batch of American Hefe (due to the less clove and banana notes). At bottling time I did a case of straight up Hefe, and for the 2nd case I added 2oz (suggested) of the extract before bottling. I havent tasted one yet, but it smelled really good. Will let ya'll know this weekend when I crack open one.

I have used extracts before. Just make your ale like you have been, or make a wheat beer and add the extract to your secondary when you are ready to bottle. I agree with using half the amount they tell you to.

Back