Raspberry American Light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ducas

Reaction score
Ok so here my basic process. I understand I'm probably not doing everything correctly, but I kind of assume any of these recipes are like any cooking ones, with personal preferences and taste altering them somewhat.

I have a can of hopped Muntons LME as my base kit.

Here is my process in as normal vocabulary as possible: (please be gentle, I'm obviously sensitive haha)
I boil down 2 lbs of DME in 2 1/2 gal water. (until the foam dies down)
I then add the Muntons kit and stir
I add 24 oz frozen raspberries and roughly one handful of rose petals, along with the LME, for about 5-10 minutes.
I remove from heat and cool in sink of ice water to chill.
I then split the wort between two 4 gal fermenters (donated frosting buckets from grocery)
I pinch the yeast evenly between the two.
Let ferment for two weeks.

Bottling:
I previously boiled 1 lb (have since realized my error...) brown sugar for priming in 2 1/2 cups water and cooled.
Bottled, capped, and stored.

Thing I'm planning to alter:

LESS SUGAR! From other threads on here, particularly via Revvy, it looks like 2/3 cups brown sugar should be plenty of sugar.
Stir the priming sugar a bit more after racking, although I've been doing that. But it seems like only one case was affected, which leads me to think I didn't stir enough and some bottles got even more sugar.

Questions:

This is basically the process I ran by my local shop and they signed off on it. That being said, I'm not sure how much they really paid attention. They did tell me to get the DME and add that to the wort, I just basically added the brown sugar and berries. Should I cut back on sugar even more since I'm using DME? Everything besides over carbing seems fine. The taste and coloring is great, just a little champagne -esque as of now...

Thanks again guys for your help.

EDIT:

Here is the link to the chart from Revvy

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/index9.html#post1114892

Back