Cloning Lost Abbey Red Poppy/Dawn Patrol Dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumnerH

Reaction score
So my ultimate goal is a Lost Abbey Red Poppy clone. The base beer for that is their Dawn Patrol Dark, described here:
https://www.lostabbey.com/dawn-patrol-dark/

Unfortunately I've never had the DPD (I have had a couple Red Poppies), so I'm short of shooting in the dark here--any guidance would be much appreciated.

Right now I'm contemplating something along the lines of:

OG: 1.041
FG: 1.010
SRM: 29
IBU: 12.6

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
% 4 3 British Pale (Maris Otter)
25% 2 0 German Dark Munich Malt
8% 0 10 Simpsons Chocolate
6% 0 8 American Victory
6% 0 8 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
3% 0 4 Belgian Special B

60 mins 0.25 Northern Brewer
15 mins 0.5 East Kent Goldings
0 mins 0.5 East Kent Goldings

and fermenting with S-04. I'm not sure if I should bump it up a few IBUs, nor if the malt bill is even close to sane: thoughts?

If I get this down, then I'd try some dregs and roeselaire along with sour cherries in secondary to transform to a Red Poppy-ish final product...thoughts on that process after the base looks to be somewhere in the ballpark.

I would probably back down on the chocolate malt. I had this beer way back when Tomme was still brewing at PP Solana Beach and the roast character was pretty light IIRC. Otherwise I think it looks good, no need to up the IBUs in my opinion (I'd skip the finishing hops since it is going to be soured). I've had good luck with Red Poppy dregs if you can get your hands on another bottle.

Good luck!

I would probably back down on the chocolate malt. I had this beer way back when Tomme was still brewing at PP Solana Beach and the roast character was pretty light IIRC. Otherwise I think it looks good, no need to up the IBUs in my opinion (I'd skip the finishing hops since it is going to be soured). I've had good luck with Red Poppy dregs if you can get your hands on another bottle.

Good luck!

Back down to like 4 oz, or even less?

Thanks!

This has been in primary for about a month, with S-04 and Red Poppy dregs. I'm thinking of waiting another couple weeks, racking to secondary for 6 months, then adding 10 lbs of sour cherries and 1 oz of medium toast french oak cubes. Sane?

Should I pull a sample when I rack it to make sure the bugs are active, or is that too soon to see? I'd think lacto would have done something by then, so if there's absolutely nothing noticeable I'd pitch some Supplication dregs at that point (unless something else seems like a better choice--I've got some Hansenn's Oude Kriek and Consecration on hand as well, and I could add Roeselaire too...).

With 13 IBUs you might have enough to fend off the lacto, although I'm not sure what their lacto strain is like. You might taste a little something, but it wouldn't be surprising if the beer tasted pretty clean.

Sounds like a fine plan with the oak/cherries (although I'd boil the oak for a few minutes to remove some of the "fresh" oak flaovr), good luck.

Back