First batch - Specific Gravity not low enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1852

Reaction score
I just started my first batch last week (8 days ago) with the Cooper's Home Brew kit. I am trying the Bavarian Lager.

The SG is reading about 1.014 and the bubbling has stopped a couple of days ago. The reading yesterday was the same as the reading today. Instructions say I need to gbet down to about 1.006 to bottle. Did something go wrong? Does it hurt it any more if it is left in the fermenter a few more days? Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated. Thanks in advance.:(

You can leave it in primary for up to a month before you need do anything, so no worries there.

It sounds like your yeast have flocculated a little bit early. You can try swirling the fermenter to rouse some yeast off the bottom. Make sure you just swirl though, you don't want to shake it and introduce oxygen.

And welcome to HBT! :mug:

Thanks. I assume that if it drops, it will be a slow drop? What if it doesn't drop at all....or it will just needs a lot more time? It is currently about 20 degrees celsius, I brought a brew belt, but was reading that with the type of wort that it is better at a lower temperature and will be a longer process?

If fermentation picks back up again (which I think it will) it will drop within a couple days. I don't know if it will get as low as the recipe states but if it drops to 1.010 or less and becomes stable I would just bottle personally.

20C is really warm for a lager, but I don't do lagers so I can't be too much help. Generally the lower the temperature the slower the fermentation for ales.

I do alot of cooper kits. What did you use with the kit corn sugar or malt extract?? Usually I find that the coppers kits finish at about 1008 or 1009. I use liquid mnalt extract and a bit of liquig glucose in my kits. Leave it a little longer though - I usually rack to secondary after 5-6 days with an avarge gravity of about 1011 or 1012. I leave it in secondary for about 2 weeks and it loses a couple more points. I bet if you leave yours in primary for another 2 weeks youll be down to 1010 and ready to rock and roll.

For the Coorpers kit, I accidentially added the brewing sugar that came with the original kit (instead of the Brew enhancer 1 that came with the Bavarian Lager kit). From what I read, it isn't a major issue, maybe some difference in taste?

It has been in the 11th day right now, I am hoping to work with it this coming Saturday (14th day).

Unfortunately, I didn't measure initial gravity (first time - but future I will). From the 4th day to 7th day it seemed to go down a little.

Thanks for the help.

Measured at just about 1010 SG on day 12. Step in the right direction I guess.

Primary fermentation actually smells better...more like beer. Is that normal to see a significant change in the odor through the airlock? Tasted the measure a bit and was much better than previously.:tank:

You can get quite a swing in odour from the airlock, I obsessed over it at first too but now I just ignore it. Until it's done fermenting you really need to leave it be and let the yeast do their thing. :)

Sounds like you're well on your way, a few more days and take another reading, my guess is at that point you'll be ready for secondary or bottling. :mug:

Back