S-04 and 2.5 Gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp1365

Reaction score
I plan on using S-04 for my "Nutella" Sweet Stout this weekend. I only make 2.5 gallon batches which would, according to the pitch rate calculator, need to pitch only 6 grams of yeast. What is the best way to go about this? Pitch correctly and save the other half or just over pitch? If I pitch the correct amount, how long will the other half last last? I don't plan on brewing for a couple weeks after this.

Thanks

Well if the yeast is dry, it will last almost indefinitely (several years), just put it in a plastic ziplock bag and place it in your refrigerator to be safe. Do you make a slurry before pitching to avoid shocking your dried yeast? As for the pitch, from what I have read, there is no drawback to over pitching, besides maybe rapid fermentation, but there is a drawback to under pitching your yeast, in that it may not ferment correctly.

P.S. nice brewery name

I've made several 2.3 gallon batches with S-04 and pitched the entire package. I had pretty active fermentation but no issues with flavor or anything else that I could determine. The whole package worked out well for me.

Ron

Actually this will be my first time using dry yeast. I have used White Labs and Wyeast up to this point but I wanted to give dry yeast a try. I figure that I am going to make a slurry for it.

The issue with contamination was the one of the issues that I had thought about, that and longevity.

Back