Oktoberfest AG converted to Partial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoel

Reaction score
I took a stab at converting this AG recipe to partial and was looking for some feedback.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/bee-cave-brewery-oktoberfest-ale-38880/#post380132

4.13 lb Pale LME
4.13 lb Pilsner LME
2.00 lb Munich Malt
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt
0.50 lb Caravienne Malt

1 oz. Tettnang 4.4% AA at 60 min.
0.5 oz Hallertau 4.2 % AA at 30 Min
0.5 oz. Hallertau 4.2% AA at 15 min
Yeast: WLP029

O.G. 1.062
F.G. 1.012

Or Williams Brewing makes a German Gold LME which is 50% Vienna 50% Munich Malt. I was think of adding 3 lbs of that at 15 min and reducing the Pale LME to 2.66 lbs (for the whole 60). No specialty grains with the German Gold LME.

If you're going to partial you may want to up your grain then. 3# is kind of a little to partial, even stove-top you can push 5 or 6#. A little less LME and a little more grain might do some good. Also, I like to use LME quantities in the quantities they are sold. It makes life easier.

Okay, so what if I added .5# Vienna and .5# Pilsen to the mash and changed the LME to 3# of DME each. Still only 4# of grains in the mash... to small?

3# Pilsen DME
3# Pale DME
2# Munich Malt
.5# Vienna
.5# Pilsen
.5# Caramunich Malt
.5# Caravienne Malt

Okay, so what if I added .5# Vienna and .5# Pilsen to the mash and changed the LME to 3# of DME each. Still only 4# of grains in the mash... to small?

3# Pilsen DME
3# Pale DME
2# Munich Malt
.5# Vienna
.5# Pilsen
.5# Caramunich Malt
.5# Caravienne Malt

Whatever size you can mash is fine. If you can mash more, then that's fine, but if you're limited to the size of your pot, then a smaller mash is fine, too.

Back