Saving yeast for future batches.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisbeer

Reaction score
Ok, I am just starting to get involved in learning about yeast. I recently ordered sine YG001 from yeast geek. I usually brew when I get the chance so I don't have time to order yeast and wait for it to arrive. I am going to try to save some of this for later use when it arrives this week as I have heard good things about it. I just wanted to run through the method I was going to use and see what you guys think.

I have 6 soda preforms with caps and some glycerine someone on this forum recommended for freezing yeast. I was basically going to make a 3L starter that should give me about 350 Billion cells and split it into the 6 preforms. That would be roughly 50 billion cells per preform and I would add the glycerine and water to each preform and freeze. Then set out the yeast to warm up and make a starter for whatever batch I was brewing. Are there things I missed out on? I understand how to sterilize everything I just want to make sure this will work. I have a feeling I should get glass vials instead of the plastic.

Thanks.

You should probably make sure the preforms can handle boiling temperatures beforehand. I would try one in a regular pot with tinfoil to keep it off the bottom. If it melts I'm almost positive it would ruin a pressure cooker. I haven't tried freezing yeast yet, but the huge thread on here indicated that a slow cool and a quick warmup is easier on the yeast and yields a higher freeze survival rate.

Not sure you're getting 50 B cells in a 15 ml, but that's not that big of a deal, just need to start earlier and smaller steps.

Sorry didn't add that on. I ordered more 15ml vials (15) so I will just start with smaller starters and step up. I found the thread I think you were talking about. I'm going to give it a shot.

The huge threads here on slanting and freezing yeast are incredibly useful, just takes a bit to get through it all.

Back