I had a dream last night. I made an egg nog stout, would it actually be possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802VermontHomebrew

Reaction score
haha I had a brewing dream just like the title says... I had a dream that I combined beer with egg nog and made an egg nog stout! Little strange maybe but I have heard of milk stout? Has anybody tried this? Can it be done? If so, how would I go about making it??? :tank:

Don't think I'd put egg in it, but it sounds like it could be tasty. A rich milk stout with egg nog spices? I'd try it.

hey there... that's my recipe for the egg nog milk stout that neovox posted. our first attempt at this is sitting in the fermenter right now. i'll be moving it to secondary in the next few days and will give you an update on the flavor, putting it into the primary it tasted quite good though obviously very sweet.

my biggest concern was to keep the egg nog spices to a minimum figuring i can boost them in the secondary if necessary. so i just used the equivalent of spices i use in a 2 gallon batch of egg nog for my 5 gallon beer batch. we'll see.

i'm pretty excited about this beer, i do hope it works. a friend of mine suggested aging this stuff in a brandy barrel, which i thought was brilliant. i'm gonna try and get this recipe tight and the get on the look out for some used brandy barrels.

cheers!

brian

Yeah I didnt think it would be a good idea to add a milk based product pretty much into beer I am sure it would spoil right quick.... So yeah I was thinking doing a milk stout add nutmeg, cinnamon etc... to get the aromas of an eggnog. I am going to do some more research, I have an irish stout that I love making and can probably tweak that recipie to make something egg nogish'

hey there... that's my recipe for the egg nog milk stout that neovox posted. our first attempt at this is sitting in the fermenter right now. i'll be moving it to secondary in the next few days and will give you an update on the flavor, putting it into the primary it tasted quite good though obviously very sweet.

my biggest concern was to keep the egg nog spices to a minimum figuring i can boost them in the secondary if necessary. so i just used the equivalent of spices i use in a 2 gallon batch of egg nog for my 5 gallon beer batch. we'll see.

i'm pretty excited about this beer, i do hope it works. a friend of mine suggested aging this stuff in a brandy barrel, which i thought was brilliant. i'm gonna try and get this recipe tight and the get on the look out for some used brandy barrels.

cheers!

brian

cool, yeah feel free to PM me the results or just post up on this thread looking forward to hearing how it turned out.

So I was able to sample the Egg Nog Stout last night and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. It's quite tasty without the spice profile being too over bearing. In fact, I am going to dial up the clove and cinnamon for my next batch. The egg nog and mace are perfect and the vanilla does a great job of adding some sweetness without stepping all over the beer. Next batch I'm going to try 8 cinnamon sticks and 15 cloves (as opposed to 4 cinn and 10 cloves this time).

I'm also thinking I want to bring in some slight raisin flavor to kind of replace the rum tastes that real egg nog has. What would be a good way to do that? Special B malt? What about Turbinado sugar? Any other ideas?

So I was able to sample the Egg Nog Stout last night and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. It's quite tasty without the spice profile being too over bearing. In fact, I am going to dial up the clove and cinnamon for my next batch. The egg nog and mace are perfect and the vanilla does a great job of adding some sweetness without stepping all over the beer. Next batch I'm going to try 8 cinnamon sticks and 15 cloves (as opposed to 4 cinn and 10 cloves this time).

I'm also thinking I want to bring in some slight raisin flavor to kind of replace the rum tastes that real egg nog has. What would be a good way to do that? Special B malt? What about Turbinado sugar? Any other ideas?

You could age it with oak chips soaked in rum (i'm doing this for a smoked beer I'm brewing), nothing gets a rum flavor better then rum itself.

How many chips are you using and how long do you soak them in the rum? How long in the beer?

I used 4oz cause that's the standard size bag that my LHBS sells. I toasted the oak chips a bit then soaked them in a ziploc bag with enough rum to cover them (i didn't measure) over night (I heard people do this longer, I don't see a real point in it).

It's still in secondary now and i don't plan on bottling until at least a month on the oak. I used Cruzan, any aged rum will work, white rums have no flavor at all to add so don't bother with Bacardi (i've never tried their dark and probably never will). You'll want to use a good rum because you're going to taste it.

Edit: I also dump rum AND wood into the secondary. no point in wasting good rum.

Great stuff Outsiders, any update on how the eggnog stout came out? It sounds excellent, and I'm preparing to make my own.

Gonna start with a Left Hand Milk Stout clone mini mash. It calls for .75 oz of Magnum hops (14.4%) at 60 min and 1 oz of Yakima Golding (5.9%) at 10 minutes. I'll probably cut each amount down a bit to let the spice flavor shine through.

I'll use the spice bill developed by OutsidersAl (with the increased cinnamon and clove) divided among flame-out, secondary and bottling to add layers of complexity.

Finally, I'm soaking 1 oz of medium toast French oak cubes in dark rum for a couple weeks and adding to the secondary.

The egg nog stout has been a big hit with everybody who has tried it. I might recommend holding off on adding the cinamon and clove until after your first batch, I've changed my opinion slightly about whether it needs more.

I like the idea of extending your spicing across the flame out and secondary, I'll be interested to hear how you think that worked out.

And the rum soaked oak... yes. I'm doing another batch in 2 weeks and I'm definitely going to add this step into the equation.

RE: Hops... I was concerned that the hops might compete with the spicing, but I found that they lived together quite nicely. I honestly don't think you need to pull back on them at all, but I'll be curious to hear what you find.

Good luck!!!

My grandmothers nurse is from Jamaica and every year for christmas she has a pint of 3/4 Guiness and a 1/4 egg nog. I was very much against it until I tried it, I was blown away. sooo good.

Not the same as what youre doing but along the same lines.

Wow, I love the sound of that. What variation of Black & Tan would call that? Maybe a Black Peter? :)

Not long. The yeast blazed through it's meal and we had it off the cake within 3 days. It probably sat for another 5 to 6 days after that tops.

2 weeks should be fine as long as you force carb it. Bottle conditioning I think you'd out of luck.

The egg nog stout has been a big hit with everybody who has tried it. I might recommend holding off on adding the cinamon and clove until after your first batch, I've changed my opinion slightly about whether it needs more.

I like the idea of extending your spicing across the flame out and secondary, I'll be interested to hear how you think that worked out.

And the rum soaked oak... yes. I'm doing another batch in 2 weeks and I'm definitely going to add this step into the equation.

RE: Hops... I was concerned that the hops might compete with the spicing, but I found that they lived together quite nicely. I honestly don't think you need to pull back on them at all, but I'll be curious to hear what you find.

Good luck!!!

Would you share the final spice amounts, this sounds really intresting. I would not have time this year but I would love to try making this next year.

4 cinnamon sticks
2 vanilla bean, split
10 cloves
20 blades of mace
1tsp nutmeg

all put into a grain bag and dropped in the last 20 minutes of the boil.

I'll probably be re-brewing in the next couple of weeks, but honestly I think the spice profile is totally fine.

oh ok. Thanks for the reply. I have put this one into Beersmith and plan on doing soon so it can age for a little bit before Christmas.

I'm gonna try to let it sit on some brandy soaked oak chips this year. Please post your results when you finally get to them, I'd love to hear how you think it turned out.

Definitely, I will probably do this one this weekend or next. I'm going to use it as Christmas gifts for my friends who like real beer (and Eggnog of course).

First post...long time lurker.

Outsider, was the OG you got, 1.072, taken after the lactose was added? Curious because I got the same, but according to iBrewmaster I missed low. It said I was suppose to get 1.084

Thanks in advance

Yeah, 1.072 was after the boil with lactose added. Maybe your efficiency is calibrated different in iBrewmaster?

Yeah, 1.072 was after the boil with lactose added. Maybe your efficiency is calibrated different in iBrewmaster?

well thats good to know. I just racked it to secondary 3 days ago on 4oz's of Sailor Jerry soaked medium toast oak chips. It tasted pretty good but i think i will up the vanilla next time or add split vanilla bean to secondary next time.

either way, my efficiency was set at 70% so who knows where it got those numbers from.

Back