Commercially Gluten Free Brew kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsfire

Reaction score
I new to the brewing and would like to use a brew kit that is GF. Are there any out there? A light American lager.

I don't really see any discussion about those British no-boil kits. They're intriguing and I'm curious how they're made. The pessimist in me thinks it must just be some sorghum syrup with hop extract. Did they actually produce proper GF wort and boil it down? Hmm...

Hey. I have tried 2 of the Gone with the Wheat kits. You are 100% correct. They are sorghum syrup and hop oils. Basically you boil the kettle, pour the sorghum into your fermentation bin, put two litres of boiling water into it, too up with cold water then add the oil and yeast. Seven days later bottle it.

Like I said, I have tried two before. First I bought to try it out, second was bought for me. I'm not that impressed to be honest. First was the American lager, probably the better one. The second one was the strawberry one and it tasted like juice. Sticking to all grain as I get better results and it actually tastes like beer. Don't get me wrong, they would be ok for newbies or people wanting something without a hassle or in a rush. But they are just not for me.

Brewers Best - Gluten Free Ale. "The wort is crafted from White Sorghum and Belgian Style syrup, and then complemented with an addition of orange and lemon peel. Lightly bitter with undertones of floral and citris from the hops, this ale is smooth and refreshing."

I bought this last weekend, but haven't brewed it yet. I've never tried a GF beer, but thought I would get one just to compare to wheat beer.

I used the Bards Beer clone kit from Midwest Brew supply. It worked out well. My wife is the gluten free person in our house. She forgets that beer is downstairs in the fridge cuz she is so used to drinking wine now. It's been in there since August! Tried some the other week (I need that keg back) and it tasted really good. So I had a couple pints. It's a good beer, especially in warm weather.

sorghumbrew said:
I am a sorghum plant breeder and have obtained some food grade sorghum. Currently, I am developing some lines specifically for homebrew people just like yourselves. I have noticed that malted sorghum grain is quite rare. I have the know how to both grow grain as well as malt and roast. If I were to release a variety of roasted products that would be available for 5 gallon batches, would anyone be interested in using them?

Yes!

Back