Contamination Concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadtownBrewer

Reaction score
After chilling my wort in the snow last night with disappointing and very slow results, I cracked the lid for quicker cooling. Then I transferred the wort into my sink and a small amount of snow may have also entered the wort. As of this moment, there is no bubbling in my air lock, but some funky, chunky white and orange clumps forming. Did I mess this up? It's been about 20 hours and i used a Wyeast California slap pack.

Probably not. Foamy white and orange/brown dots on top of wort are probably yeast. Solid white or brownish sediment is probably trub.

Remember bubbling or lack of in the airlock means nothing....it's just a vent, not a gauge. The chunky clumps is your krausen forming...it's doing what it is supposed to, and fermentation is often ugly and smell...and normal.

I'm sure everything's fine...so relax.

AND read this...http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

:mug:

Back