Simple question about 2 row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
2 row is going to be my base malt in an english (american) brown all I'll be doing this weekend. After reading palmer's how to brew section, it mentioned that no 'protein rest' is needed for 'fully modified' malts.

Is 2 row a fully modified malt? What exactly is a protein 'rest'?

Yes 2 row is fully modified, and a protein rest usually occurs @ around122F.*ts purpose is to let enzymes in the mash which are active in thos temp range to break down long chains of proteins into more shorter ones, which results in better head retention, yeast nutrients, and less chill haze.

Palmer's talkin about how you shouldn't do a protein rest:

"The temperature and pH ranges for these two proteolytic enzymes overlap. The optimum pH range is 4.2 - 5.3 and both enzymes are active enough between 113 - 131°F that talking about an optimum range for each is not relevant. This optimum pH range is a bit low with respect to most mashes, but the typical mash pH of 5.3 is not out of the ballpark. There is no need to attempt to lower the mash pH to facilitate the use of these enzymes. The typical Protein Rest at 120 - 130°F is used to break up proteins which might otherwise cause chill haze and can improve the head retention. This rest should only be used when using moderately-modified malts, or when using fully modified malts with a large proportion (>25%) of unmalted grain, e.g. flaked barley, wheat, rye, or oatmeal. Using this rest in a mash consisting mainly of fully modified malts would break up the proteins responsible for body and head retention and result in a thin, watery beer. The standard time for a protein rest is 20 - 30 minutes. "

This is mostly wrong. As the quote from Palmer explains, a protein rest, particularly a long one, can be detrimental to head retention. It also has nothing to do with yeast nutrients.

It may, however, improve clarity.

Yes 2 row is fully modified, and a protein rest usually occurs @ around122F.*ts purpose is to let enzymes in the mash which are active in thos temp range to break down long chains of proteins into more shorter ones, which results in better head retention, yeast nutrients, and less chill haze.

You don't want to to a protein rest! Just a single infusion will be fine! One saccrification rest at 153 or so would be fine. If you're making an English style ale, I'd suggest using maris otter for the base malt. US two-row would be fine, but maris otter is "warmer" and great for English ales.

With the malts typically available to home brewers a protein rest is only helpful in select circumstances. The primary beer styles where a protein rest could really help your beer is if you are brewing a wheat beer and want the final beer to be clear. In general modern malts are all fully modified and single infusion mashing is sufficient. If you want to recreate a truly "authentic" Munich Dunkel or Bohemian Pilsner, then a simple infusion mash may not be what you want. Purists will say these beers require traditional triple decoction mashing.
In short, you will make great beer using an infusion to mash between 148-158, and an infusion to mash out.

jsullivan02130 said:
This is mostly wrong. As the quote from Palmer explains, a protein rest, particularly a long one, can be detrimental to head retention. It also has nothing to do with yeast nutrients.

It may, however, improve clarity.

Actually I think I'm correct here,maybe an overly long protein rest can be detrimental, but a properly timed one should not be. I believe its because the longest chain protiens are broken down into midlength chains and amino acids. Midlength chain proteins are good for head retention, as opposed to long chains which are gummy and cause haze at low temps. Amino acids are beneficial to yeast health. I've brewed many times with protein rests and never had a head retention problem.

And after rereading palmers quote, I think he's saying it is beneficial to head retention, which is in line with everything I've read on the subject. As another post says though , you really don't need this unless your mashing wheat /rye/six row.

Back