Kitchen Sink Faucet Quick Change?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CADragon

Reaction score
Brewing in an apartment, my kitchen sink is the only water source available. Every time I want to use my bottle cleaner or immersion chiller, I pull out the pipe wrench to change out the aerator, and I'm worried doing this every week will take its toll on the sink. What do other non-slop sink brewers do? Is there a quick change apparatus that I could use to swap out nozzles (or whatever you call them)? I'm thinking something like the different attachments on an air compressor.

The end cap should just be able to unscrew with your hand......

faucet-10b-765484.jpg

Long ago, I had a QD fitting like that...the male side of the QD was threaded to replace the end cap on the kitchen faucet, and then the female end of the QD had a male garden hose threading, to attach bottle washer, hose, etc.

It was awesome...but in one of my many moves I left the male QD attached to the kitchen sink. Been looking for a replacement ever since, with no luck...

Once you get that cap off, put it back on with your fingers. If it doesn't seal right, you may need to buy a new one.

I've been thinking about putting a QD UNDER the sink, so that when I'm brewing, I can plug in my CFC, but still have the sink faucet usable.

Mine screws off/on easily by hand. But, you could always buy a waterbed fill kit. I think those go on really easily and hook up to a hose. (I haven't had a waterbed since the 80s, but that's what I remember).

Up until a couple days ago I just left the hose thread adapter on the faucet, I saw no reason to change back and forth. Now that I brew in the basement though we have a new swivel aerator thing upstairs.

If I was still brewing in the kitchen I think I'd plumb in a quick disconnect under the sink like mentioned above.

As others have said, the faucet aerator should be removable without the need for a wrench and a wrench will usually phuck up the chrome if you are not very careful. The aerator seals with a gasket, so it need not be overly tight.

The problem with the faucet QD's is that when you remove the hose you are left without an aerator and when you use the faucet it will splash excessively at anything above a minimal flow rate. Not the best situation for everyday kitchen use.

I would much prefer plumbing in an under the sink hose connection. There is also a problem doing this as you would not have the advantage of being able to mix the hot and cold water unless you plumbed in another faucet or mixing valve of some kind. I like to have the option of using hot water or a mix of hot and cold. I'm lucky to have a basement laundry sink and a floor drain.

Do you have a laundry room in your apartment? If you do a "y" connector at the cold water spigot and some white RV hose would solve your problem.

It is a swivel aerator I'm working with, and there's not enough of a lip to turn by hand (see pic-the tiny knurled ring is it), and I guess it's not a pipe wrench, but locking pliers. Same idea, they really cut into the aerator every time. Never thought of doing something under the sink, I do miss the regular faucet when the immersion chiller is in use and I'm trying to clean up. Under the sink wouldn't help with the bottle washer though, I guess I'll look into the QD that was posted. Thanks everyone!
5318712.jpg

Once you get that cap off, put it back on with your fingers. If it doesn't seal right, you may need to buy a new one.

I've been thinking about putting a QD UNDER the sink, so that when I'm brewing, I can plug in my CFC, but still have the sink faucet usable.

I've also been wanting to put it a Y under the sink on my cold water line and bring a hose out to fill my marked buckets to carry outside to fill my MLT. Bucket is too tall to fit under spigot and the nozzle hose just takes forever.

Back