Splitting batch before fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a simple American Wheat beer, but I was wondering about splitting the 5 gallons into 2, 2.5 gallon batches once the yeast has been pitched, but before fermentation starts.

I'd like to try racking onto some Raspberries, but I don't want to do a whole batch like that in case I don't like it.

Any reason not to?

Sorry I'm about to brew this, and just want some clarification.

If I make an American Wheat, I can ferment in a primary for say 1 week, then rack the batch into two secondary fermenters... one which has some raspberries?

sure.

You might want to wait more than a week though, or take gravity readings three days in a row to make sure fermentation has slowed/stopped. I would also put them into 3 gallon containers for secondary. Too much headspace in secondary can lead to oxidation.

:mug:

Great tip.. thank you.
I just want to make sure the raspberry isn't too overpowering. Not to mention, it's my first time brewing a wheat. I love Harpoon UFO, so that is sort of my motivation.

Cheers!

Yep!

You never know until you do it. And even if you think it is overpowering.. let it sit for a while and try it again. With a wheat though you'll want to drink it earlier, as they tend to get worse with age.

It's my opinion thats it's better to start with less and add more next time than add too much and have it way overpowering. If it starts out with a hint of raspberry and you want more, then add more next time.. at least you can still drink a good brew. That's not quite the same when it's a fruit bomb.. :p

Good luck and report back for someone who may want to follow in your footsteps!

:mug:

Back