Hello from Southern California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
I've been a lurker here for a while, but I've finally joined. I am a new brewer from Southern California. I just bottled my first batch and I'm waiting for the beer to carbonate.

This is a great site from what I've seen so far. Tons of great information and experienced brewers. I am planning to switch over to all grain soon, and I plan on building a fermentation chiller and an immersion chiller.

Just wanted to say hi to everybody.

A pale ale I made from a mini-mash kit. I tried it the other day while bottling and it tasted good even though it wasn't carbonated. I did not detect any off flavors except for a really hoppy flavor, which will probably calm down after carbonation.

Southern California? Maybe you can find a recipe here for a smoked porter.

Welcome to another so cal homebrewer. I am new too and have made 4 PM's & 2 AG's. I was drinking my first AG (Ed Wort Pale Ale) while camping at the beach this weekend (carpinteria). EXCELLENT

My advice, get to all grain as soon as you can and get out of the kitchen.

I live in santa clarita and had to take the day off from work. Ready to evacuate because of the fires on short notice. There are 3 separate fires around our area.

Gonzo, realistically, how much harder is AG? I know of the added cost for equipment, but is the difficulty THAT much harder?

It's gonna be a while before I go to all grain. There's A LOT of good looking mini mash kits at my local homebrew shop.

AG vs. PM. For me, it was no more difficult. It only takes a little longer.
For me, I got the equipment cheap. $10 for a used turkey fryer on CL. $10 for an old Keg on recycler, which I turned into a keggle for another $15, and I built my mash-tun for $30. I got a digital thermometer with a probe at target for $20. well worth it.

+ it feels like I am really making from scratch. I am seriously considering growing hops next spring.

Welcome Brew Dude! There are a lot more of us from So Cal around here lately. And I'll be out your way shortly. I have classes at CSULB.

BlindLemonLars said:
The sky here in the valley isn't orange yet, but I see smoke in most every direction and my car had a thick layer of ashes this morning.
I washed my truck for the first time in quite a while on Sunday. Monday it was covered in a layer of ash. That will teach me to get it washed!

Brew Dude said:
There's A LOT of good looking mini mash kits at my local homebrew shop.

Brew Dude, what shop are you refering to? I live in HB and have been at SteinFillers, havent bought any kits from them, just some yeast and equipment but seems like a good store. If there are others in the area, let me know. Thanks

That's the one! Steinfillers is the only brew shop within driving distance (that I know of, at least). That's fine though, they have everything I need and their prices are reasonable.

Stupid double post. I might as well put some usefull info in here. Riverside is equally as far if you want to visit the More Beer store. Great place, just far.

Every month, there is a homebrewing club that meets at Steinfillers. I think it's 15 bucks a year to be a member, and you get to come to the meetings and try everyone's beers for free. You could easily drink $15 worth of beer in one night.

Anybody a member? I was thinking about joining :) It'd be a great way to network also, since there are so many of us here from So Cal.

i bought my brew kit from O'Sheas' in Laguna Niguel since i work down that way, but then went to steinfillers the following day and saw their prices were MUCH better than O'Shea's, I'll be getting my all my supplies from there from now now on.

I've been to O'sheas and noticed it's a bit pricey too. However, it's the closest I've got. Although, as of now with the fires, the freeway is closed 15 minutes South of it. Maybe I'll check out Steinfillers next time I head up to LA.

I'm a new brewer from socal as well. My first batch is just about ready to bottle. I'm closest to the silverado canyon fire. At its closest point it was 8 miles from my place.

Latest posts

Back