Haier 4.6 cf Fridge for DIY Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd do some careful measuring, because the compressor hump sure looks big. But I don't have any experience with the thing... just looking at the pictures.

I actually own this exact same fridge and am looking to turn it into a kegerator. Ive measured it and it seems that if the freezer compartment is bent out of the way it it just barely big enough for a single corny. I dont know if I can drill through the top though to put in a tower.

I'd pass man. I think a one corny kegerator is worthless IMHO. Keep looking. Be patient and you'll find one.

i already own this fridge from before I even started homebrewing. Im thinking about turning it into a kegerator as I live in an apartment and couldnt really keep up 2 taps anyway. I want to put a tower in though and am afraid of hitting something on the way thru. is there any way to determine whats in the top of this thing and whether I can drill thru it?

i already own this fridge from before I even started homebrewing. Im thinking about turning it into a kegerator as I live in an apartment and couldnt really keep up 2 taps anyway. I want to put a tower in though and am afraid of hitting something on the way thru. is there any way to determine whats in the top of this thing and whether I can drill thru it?

Yep. If you do some searching (even videos on youtube about the subject involving the popular sanyo conversions) you will see that people take the plastic top cover off of the fridge and rub a slurry of corn starch/rubbing alcohol on top. The part that dries faster is the part that has a refrigeration line running under it, when the parts that take longer to dry do not.

Remember, this only works if the refrigerator is/has been on for a while.

Also, I know that fridge has a little freezer in it. If you're going to turn it into a kegerator, I'd completely gut it by taking a dremel to all of the parts that look like they'd be in the way. Once again, the people with the Sanyo's do this all the time.

Good Luck,
J

Yep. If you do some searching (even videos on youtube about the subject involving the popular sanyo conversions) you will see that people take the plastic top cover off of the fridge and rub a slurry of corn starch/rubbing alcohol on top. The part that dries faster is the part that has a refrigeration line running under it, when the parts that take longer to dry do not.

Remember, this only works if the refrigerator is/has been on for a while.

Also, I know that fridge has a little freezer in it. If you're going to turn it into a kegerator, I'd completely gut it by taking a dremel to all of the parts that look like they'd be in the way. Once again, the people with the Sanyo's do this all the time.

Good Luck,
J

yeah im not too worried about the freezer component or any work I have to do to the inside of it to make it work, all Im scared about right now is whether i will hit something on the way thru the top that is going to compromise the entire thing. so far i cant find anything :( maybe ill just do it and see what happens !

No, don't just start cutting, you could potentially ruin your fridge forever.

Here is a link to a video of someone using the rubbing alcohol/cornstarch.

Last edited by a moderator:
i saw how everyone said this will not work...i have the same exact one and it works perfectly...i had to take out storage on the door very easy to do no screws at all then shave foam down to even...the freezer is very easy to unlatch no screwing either and i just bent is back against the wall and duct taped the side as well...be careful when bending it though...

you can fit 2 sixtels and a 5lb co2 tank its tight but who cares it works...you can also fit a 1/4 barrel and co2 tank (barely fits)...if you have any issue with your height you might need to purcahse a low level coupler...but besides that it does work will a few quick modifications and i drilled thru door not tower...just my preference.

have fun and good luck!!!

I have a haier mini fridge and measures only 8" from the back hump to the front. Will this fit a 5gal keg?

Back