spigots on the primary bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeers

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been using spigots on my primary buckets for a while now. I put these together myself, but the set up looks a lot like the "siphonless fermenter" sold by Williams Brewing.

This set up "works," in that it makes sampling and siphoning a lot easier, and it's never caused an infection. But I'm finding that the seal around the spigot is extremely fussy. If I accidentally press on the lid or jostle the spigot, it springs a leak. Even when I've been very careful, I'll always find at least a small ring of dried wort around the gasket...evidence of a very slow leak.

I've taken all the precautions that are usually prescribed: using just one good gasket on the outside of the bucket, screwing tight-but-not-too-tight, etc.---but still I get that slow leak.

I'm wondering if others have come across this. Were you able to remedy it? Did you abandon the spigots altogether?

I've thought about putting keg lube around the gasket, but I'm not sure if that's sanitary enough for primary fermentation.

I sometimes use buckets with spigots for my primary but I bought those from my LHBS. I've never had a problem with leakage. What sort of gasket are you using?

I'm actually thinking about abandoning spigots. I just like the versatility of buckets but they're useless when there's a hole in the bottom or if I put the spigot on, it just gets in the way.

I am leak free and I use a gasket on the inside and outside of the bucket which is how it came in my setup. I think it is more important to have the gasket on the inside as the weight of the wort will push on it helping to create a tight seal.

Thanks for the feedback.

I sometimes use buckets with spigots for my primary but I bought those from my LHBS. I've never had a problem with leakage. What sort of gasket are you using?

I'm actually thinking about abandoning spigots. I just like the versatility of buckets but they're useless when there's a hole in the bottom or if I put the spigot on, it just gets in the way.

I've tried a few different gaskets. Most often I'm using the black gaskets that are typically sold to fit the plastic spigots. I'm kind of leaning in the same direction as you...may be better off just to refrain from putting holes in perfectly good buckets.

I am leak free and I use a gasket on the inside and outside of the bucket which is how it came in my setup. I think it is more important to have the gasket on the inside as the weight of the wort will push on it helping to create a tight seal.

I follow your logic, but I've tried putting a gasket on the inside, too. I still get at least a small leak. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Latest posts

Back