trading yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Bedford, Tx, between dallas and fort worth.

I have some Wyeast 1007 german ale

Looking for the standard german lagers, pilsners, british ale/lager ...

I was on 35W through Ft Worth on Friday. Anyway, I didn't have any yeast with me.

I usually don't brew many of those. Almost every other batch I do is a Hefe Weizen, but I'll keep you in mind when I do something else.

I am going to be trying to make my first slants today. Will let you know if it works out. Is that how you have your yeast stored?

it's a way to propagate and store yeast.

Basicaly it's a mixture of wort and agar. It's put into a test tube at a slant ( hense the name) or a baby jar and autoclaved.

then yeast is added to the media.

you depressurize the slant for a week then you can store it in your fridge for upto 6 months.

When you need it mix it with wort and put it in a beer bottle with a air lock and 24 hours later you have pitchable yeast.

It help break the extravagent cost of yeast by using it many times.

homebrewer_99 said:
I'm still using flippie bottles to store my yeast.

The greatgrandbaby isn't on solid foods yet, but when he is the jars are all mine.:D
Good luck on that. It's hard to find the glass baby food jars anymore. Everyone is going to plastic. Sucks for me, because I gave away all of my jars right before I got back into brewing.

ggenovez said:
it's a way to propagate and store yeast.

Basicaly it's a mixture of wort and agar. It's put into a test tube at a slant ( hense the name) or a baby jar and autoclaved.

then yeast is added to the media.

you depressurize the slant for a week then you can store it in your fridge for upto 6 months.

When you need it mix it with wort and put it in a beer bottle with a air lock and 24 hours later you have pitchable yeast.

It help break the extravagent cost of yeast by using it many times.
How does a normal guy get something autoclaved?

billybrew said:
Good luck on that. It's hard to find the glass baby food jars anymore. Everyone is going to plastic. Sucks for me, because I gave away all of my jars right before I got back into brewing.
I think you told me that before and I went to the loval grocery and they are all glass so I'm not going to fret about it.:D

Back