What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
holy crap it was a busy day in the brewery...
-gelled an American Amber
-racked an American Brown Ale to secondary
-decanted a Wyeast 1010 starter that totally blew out of the 2L flask
-brewed an American Wheat Ale and pitched that starter
---rigged a monster blowoff tube and bucket because that 1010 is a monster

Finished the main work on this little number. Just waiting on the STCs to arrive now.

chamber01-65196.jpg

The long version

Finished the main work on this little number. Just waiting on the STCs to arrive now.

So my wife just heard me whisper "now that is SEXY!" while looking at the laptop. She glanced over to see if I'd found some scantily clad pretty young thing, and instead saw me looking at the pic of your keezer/fermenter.

Thank you for the comments. I couldn't have done it without the inspiration from the linked thread above. Very happy and proud of how it's turning out. It'll be all fermenting all the time in there, lagers / crashing (after kegging) on one side, ales on the other. Probably juggle lagers from left to right back to left depending on exact scheduling.

Quick stats: Left side 1 keg on bottom, 2 on top, shelf @ 375 lb rating. Right side 2 x 5 gal carboy on top, 1 x 13 gal barrel on bottom, shelf @ 250 lb rating.

Then a few hours later... I decided to make a yeast culture from a bottle of Widmer Hefe so that I can get going on a clone recipe soon! With the help of another HBT member, dmarc85, I am going to dial in this recipe ( ;

IMG_20150309_221128.jpg

Cleaned and de labeled some bottles im going to have to finish the rest tomorrow after work.

Gonna clean my blowoff rig on my Cascadian dark ale. Started with clear sanitized water and now it's about SRM 40! That's ferocious for my experience.

Checked gravity on Pale down to 1.014 from 1.070. Tastes good, a bit more hop than I expected. Brought it down into the basement for cold crashing. Check my Red for activity and its starting to chug.
Found a guy who cuts gaskets on EB so Im replacing to crap hard rubber gasket on the AceRoto conical with a silicone sponge type.

Brewing up a big ol' strong batch, of Imperial Stout. Brew session is going great too, even with 9% oats in the mash(used rice hulls).

RDWHAHB... :mug:

Got my BIL ingredients for 2 gallons of extract saison he can make in his Mr. Beer setup instead of a Mr. Beer refill. Working on instructions, and I'm going to enlist my 4 year old daughter to help me make the training video.

Bottled my session IPA, only two and a half weeks later than intended, and reserved a quart of the yeast cake for my next caramel amber ale.

I'm pretty certain everyone who says "just throw your pellet hops straight in the fermenter" for dry hopping kegs. Clogged my racking cane a dozen times and had to mark the last three bottles as trub bombs, and it was only two ounces of dry hop. Back to hop bags for me.

Acquired a nitro tap setup. Seems my chocolate stout @2.1 volumes doesn't really want to play nice at this point. Evaluating options: bleed it a couple times over the next few days vs bail on nitro for the rest of this keg (half left, started without the nitro).

Current theory is that it is overcarbed for the faucet. Other theory is that for some reason it needs to sit on nitro for a while to get it's groove on. Based on my understanding on the purpose of nitro being high pressure push without increasing carb level, the latter doesn't make much sense.

Went to the HBS. Bought some ingredients for my next brew and a new 2L flask for making starters (after I cracked my old wobbily bottomed one trying to heat a starter on a coil stove), as well as swapped out my 5# CO2 tank and 2 propane tanks.

Bought a second fridge for the basement, to hold pop and bottled/canned beer. Now I can take the top shelf out of the basement kitchen fridge and add two or three more taps!

Popped the dry hop bag out of an American IPA a and started the cold crash. It. Smells. So. Good...

Racked the Sky Raider Maple Bacon to the keg. Chilled some Merlin Blackberry red for drinking. Bought water, washed, and rinsed gear for tomorrow's brew day for the Scooter American Honey Ale.

No, you get in line. I cna stay on here all night...

Yeah me too. I've been a huge fan of this site since I found it. People here are so dagone easy to get along with. Its almost like we all enjoy the same things.... like beer!:tank:

Yeah me too. I've been a huge fan of this site since I found it. People here are so dagone easy to get along with. Its almost like we all enjoy the same things.... like beer!:tank:

Haha, apparently you won! I didn't see this.

How's that Maple Bacon Ale?:pipe:

I finally cleaned all of my beer lines with BLC and organized the lines better.

Finally finished delabeling bottles for my son's chili IPA. Got the last 5 in the bucket, so some extras for me when I ship out bottles of the kottbusser.:ban:

Hit my LHBS. Restocked with another 55 lb sack of Maris Otter, a bunch of US hops I don't normally get (lb each of Cascade and Centennial, 2 oz of Citra), and then some extra Challenger, and then 11 lbs of various specialty grains (Munich, Biscuit, Special Roast, Melanoidin, various UK and US crystal malts), and then packs of 1469, 1332, and some champagne yeast for carbonation insurance for bottling sours. Plus some extra wire cages, yeast nutrient, and Star-San. Somehow, every time I walk in there, I seem to qualify for $50 off :mug:

Haha, apparently you won! I didn't see this.

How's that Maple Bacon Ale?:pipe:

It no kidding tastes like bacon with a less pronounced maple flavor. Its gonna be a good beer I'm fairly certain but definitely unconventional. Its the most unique beer I've ever had. She's in a keg now and chilling. Couple more hours before go time. What's up with the chocolate peanut butter? How is it? How'd you do it?

Back