Carbonation problem...3 weeks and..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
flat as a pancake. I used 1 1/4 cup of DME to bottle a 5 gallon batch that was fermented with WLP-001. I followed all of the same procedures as all of my other batches with the exception of this is my first with DME (and last!). The bottles have been stored at about 70-72 F for the entire time. All I get is a slight psst. on opening and no carbonation at all.

What do you guys recommend to salvage this batch? Carbonation tabs? Anybody ever had one that carbed up after being flat at the three week point?

Sorry for the lame carbonation question but I searched and could'nt find an answer.

Thanks
Al

What I would do is take each bottle and gently give it a flip, head over heals, stir up the yeast in the bottom. Give it another week. Be patient it will come along.

GIusedtoBe said:
flat as a pancake. I used 1 1/4 cup of DME to bottle a 5 gallon batch that was fermented with WLP-001. I followed all of the same procedures as all of my other batches with the exception of this is my first with DME (and last!). The bottles have been stored at about 70-72 F for the entire time. All I get is a slight psst. on opening and no carbonation at all.

What do you guys recommend to salvage this batch? Carbonation tabs? Anybody ever had one that carbed up after being flat at the three week point?

Sorry for the lame carbonation question but I searched and could'nt find an answer.

Thanks
Al
DME does take longer. Don't expect that three weeks will do it. If you're getting a phssst...the beer is on it's way to carbing. Get to those beers and give the cases a slight rocking back and forth to agitate the yeast off the bottoms. That will accelerate things.

Thanks much for the quick replies. How long should I expect to wait for the bottles to carb? At what point do you know something is not right? I'm just surprised there is no sign of carbonation after three weeks. Is the 70-72 F temp for storage all right? It looks like apple juice in the glass:(

BTW I will try gentle agitation you guys recommend.

Thanks again,
Al

Latest posts

Back