WLP009 - Aussie Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
Has anybody used this strain? Im about to do a Blonde/Pale using Pacific Jade and Nelson Sauvin hops. The beer will have a soft grain bill with a BU/GU ratio around .600. I saw that WLP009 was released as a Platinum Strain and the profile sounds very interesting. Australian yeast with New Zealand hops also seems to work in a theme for me. I'll probably brew this one up next week but I was hoping some of you had used 009 and could possibly tell me what you think of it. Thanks.

I brewed three batches with this yeast last year, a cream ale, blonde, and coopers sparkling ale. The cream ale didn't turn out due to process error, but the other two were quite nice. When fermented in the low 60's, this yeast is very clean and crisp with some light fruit esters. At warmer temps (68-72F) it can be somewhat banana-y and has a definite bready malt character that was excellent in the coopers clone. In my blonde ale it reminded me of a fruitier kolsch strain.

I bet this yeast would taste great with NZ hops, though if you don't want banana, keep the temps pretty low.

I brewed three batches with this yeast last year, a cream ale, blonde, and coopers sparkling ale. The cream ale didn't turn out due to process error, but the other two were quite nice. When fermented in the low 60's, this yeast is very clean and crisp with some light fruit esters. At warmer temps (68-72F) it can be somewhat banana-y and has a definite bready malt character that was excellent in the coopers clone. In my blonde ale it reminded me of a fruitier kolsch strain.

I bet this yeast would taste great with NZ hops, though if you don't want banana, keep the temps pretty low.

Great, thanks. When temps get warm here in Central Pa I use my fermentation frdige to control temps but I love it this time of year. The area I use in my basement is locked in at 64 degrees ambient so Ive been allowing my beers to just do their thing. I suspect the internal ferm temp should be in the neighborhood of 68-70 degrees. I'm quite excited to make this beer. I traditionally make Belgians, IPA's and Sours...Ive havent been this interested in a Blonde/Pale style in quite a while.

I'm going to let things alone in the carboy another week before I bottle this one (3 weeks in primary.) I pulled a sample this AM. The Nelson Sauvin hops are certainly fruity and quite unique. The yeast gives a nice bready/malty character. For lack of a better term, the yeast character of this strain strikes me as a rustic/beery quality. Quite interesting.

Im pretty astonished at how clear this beer has become in the primary. Tomorrow marks 3 weeks (my standard ale primary time). When I pulled a final gravity sample, this beer is brilliantly clear already. When I get it carbed and cold conditioned this thing should be SPARKLING. It took a 1.056 wort to 1.010. 82% attenuation...not bad (mashed at 148).

Back