Leaving immersion wort chiller during the length of the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramz7887

Reaction score
I am planning on building my bk so that that chiller is built inside ( it can be removed but I don't want to do that very much) and stays during the whole boil. I keep hearing about how its not good for the acidic wort to be incontact with the copper for that long. Has anyone done this? Also people have talked about sanitation/cleaning I was thinking of using oxyclean only since san star is going to be bad for the cooler mash tun.

thanks

Since brew kettles of old were all copper, indeed to this day brewer's jargon for kettle is "copper," I can't imagine there could be any problem with leaving the chiller in. You do not want copper in your fermenter, though.

Don't sanitize the tun. The mash is preboil. Boiling sanitizes the wort.

Remember that you're still going to need to get all the schmutz from brewing out of your kettle after the boiling & chill....you don't want any areas that are going to trap materials like hop leaves and such or make it a pita to clean out.

The key is ensuring the copper is bright-clean before use, immersion time doesn't matter.

well i wanna do a twenty five minute with the copper added at the end with a oxy bath inadvyedo each batch

I ended up connecting some washing machine hoses to it that are flexable and ss so i can easily move it in and out now

Back