Bottle Junk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
So I bottled my first brew (a wheat beer) about a week ago. It sat in primary for about two weeks, and I didn't use a secondary. Now, after a week in the bottle, I see a lot of junk in the bottom. I expected this after reading around here, but this looks pretty deep, almost 1/16" deep. A lot more than the slight film I see in other peoples brews.

This isn't anything I'm worried about, but my question is.... Is this typical for a wheat beer, or is it just settling out because I didn't put it into secondary? Also, if I don't go into secondary, should I leave it in primary longer? My fermentation was over after a week according to the hydrometer, and I left it another week to keep the junk out. So much for that idea :D

I have some beer that makes thicker layer than others...I can't really say if it's due to being a wheat beer...I'd say maybe a week in secondary...or cold crashing would have helped???

Don't worry about the junk. Remember that wheat beers are meant to be cloudy, so don't worry about a thing. Many brewers never bother to use secondary and you did good by letting it sit in the fermenter an extra week. If you want crystal clear beer, don't brew wheaties !

I have some beer that makes thicker layer than others...I can't really say if it's due to being a wheat beer...I'd say maybe a week in secondary...or cold crashing would have helped???

OK, next question.... What is a cold crash? Is that like when I slip on an icy patch in winter? (Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

OK, next question.... What is a cold crash?

HA HA HA NO!
Get your beer really cold...less than 38 for a day or so...it'll really clear your beer, wine, mead, saki, cola, and sinuses. It helps anything that is going to fall out of solution to fall out of solution.

A spare refrigerator is great for this purpose....as is a cold garage in December. Try not to freeze your beer though.

Hmmmm, interested to see how my first brew will turn out then. I left the final sample at bottling in a glass in the refrigerator for 3 days and it didn't clarify. Lady at the LHBS (spits on floor) said it was chill hazing. Whatev. It tasted OK. :D

Back