Does anyone else think Sam Adam's beer sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was surprised to see how many people here have come to the defense of Sam Adams. It seems like every time I see mention of them here, it's something bad. Sam Adams is my favorite brewery. I'll admit that few of their beers are the best of the given style in my opinion, but it's the variety that has me hooked. They're always trying different things and doing a good job with them, and that's what I like. I also have collector tendencies, so it's made for a heck of a bottle collection.

That being said, there are some beers of theirs that I think are amazing and some that are terrible. I can't stand Cherry Wheat (tastes like cough syrup) or Imperial White (way too sweet and too strong of an alcohol flavor). I love Octoberfest and Double Agent IPL.

I love Octoberfest and Double Agent IPL.

I think these are my favorites from Sam Adams, and I will also come to their defense... but then again, I drink just about anything:mug:

I do have to say I wasn't impressed by their summer seasonal sampler this year. A blueberry beer and several sub-par variations of wit.

I haven't had a Sam Adams in a long time. I do have to give them credit--their Boston Lager was the beer that introduced me to craft beer back in the '80s, when craft brewing was still in its infancy here, and the other alternatives were imported. SA was definitely a jump up from BMC, though I don't know how it stacks up today. I should pick up a variety pack and give it another try.

How the hell are they so popular and successful? I know marketing has a lot to do with it, but most all of their beers are awful and leave the nastiest aftertastes. It's just bad. I'm always suckered into buying something new of theirs and get pissed off thinking it'll be different, but it never is.

Sam Adams = SUCKS, only beer they make that's good is Octoberfest.

Way to much hops in their beers for my taste, hopheads enjoy.

Cheers :mug:

THey are a pretty good everyday beer. Not nuts about the Boston Lager, but thier Boston Ale is a nice beer.

Also, this years Pumpkin Harvest Ale is quite good.

Sam Adams = SUCKS, only beer they make that's good is Octoberfest.

Way to much hops in their beers for my taste, hopheads enjoy.

Cheers :mug:

God I hope you are being sarcastic. I have yet to taste a beer they make that is over hopped. Most are fairly underhopped by American craft beer standards.

My biggest problem with Sam Adams is the price point. For 50 cents more I can get fresher local beers that just overall taste better. They do have the best variety though and that keeps me trying them out.

I don't know if anyone remembers around the time when they first came out through the 90's. That's when Sam Lager was the best. Me and my buddies were close to the source being so close to Boston. The Lager had almost a slight fruitiness on tap that was hard to describe. It was so good. Cream Stout and Honey Porter were also a couple of favs too.

Then it seems the quality started to drop in 2000 or so. I believe they started to contract brew more of the beers. Who knows, maybe they changed recipes slightly and the quality and freshness of the ingredients declined?

I can't say I've had too many Sams in a while, but when I do everything seems dulled down and too malty. They all seem to have a similar taste. Too many other great brews out there now for me to bother.

I feel we've got some of the best beers being made right now just above me in Vermont. No comparison in my book right now. The big three, Hill Farmstead, Lawson's Finest and The Alchemist just can't be beat at the moment

Sam Adams is a good beer for the transition from macrobrew to micro brew. If it weren't for Sam Adams I doubt craft beer would be what it is today. I'd rather have a S.A. than a Bud/Miller/Coors, but hat being said, there beers are subpar* versions of the style they are meant to be.

* Noble Pils is the one exception, that beer is great.

Some of theirs I really like (Noble Pils, Octoberfest, Double Agent), some are decent (Boston Lager, Whitewater IPA, Black Lager), and some are not good at all (their old pale ale). I don't buy their stuff a whole lot anymore, but I give them credit for their role in the craft beer movement and for using their size and exposure to try their hand at brewing lots of styles, even if the results don't always turn out the best.

They helped push me into craft beer. Does their beer suck? No, it's just a bit average and uninspired at this point for me. I'd never turn one down though.

Sam Adams has done an amazing thing - opened up the world of better beer for millions of people.

For most of those people, it's Boston Lager. They hardly realize there are other styles of beer than lagers. (Dark beers?)

OK, I don't usually buy Sam Adams beers(well, I did get some for Octoberfest). For almost every style they make, there is a better example from a microbrewery. Will I drink a Sam Adams offered at a party or a friend's house? Yes! Will I drink BMC if that is all that's available? NO!

Most that don't like Sam Adams either:
1. Don't like the style of the beer in question and are comparing to a different style(that they like), or
2. Are comparing to a great microbrew or homebrew.

or both.

Sam Adams makes a credible beer for every style they make. They are a big company, however, and seldom match the best microbrew or homebrew available. Heck, I can't find any poured beer in Nevada that tastes as good to me as my standard IPA or Pliny clone I make. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a well made commercial beer.

I would agree with this, Sam Adams is good for the money but when comparing too a hand crafted beer that isn't mass produced, well that's a whole different ball game.

I call BS.

Sam Adams Samplers are AWESOME.

Nearly every one has some seriously experimental beer and/or a good example of a REALLY obscure style.

They make fantastic beer. Just their line of IPSa is STAGGERING.

The whitewater IPA was eye opening, and that is coming from an IPA FREAK.

Step off haters.

I call BS.

Sam Adams Samplers are AWESOME.

Nearly every one has some seriously experimental beer and/or a good example of a REALLY obscure style.

They make fantastic beer. Just their line of IPSa is STAGGERING.

The whitewater IPA was eye opening, and that is coming from an IPA FREAK.

Step off haters.

5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg

SERIOUS.

Had a Doppelbock in their sampler this summer that was better than the one at a FANTASTIC local brew pub.

cheezydemon3 said:
SERIOUS.

Had a Doppelbock in their sampler this summer that was better than the one at a FANTASTIC local brew pub.

Doppelbock in the summer variety pack?

I like their Imperial Stout quite a bit. I find most of their offerings to be clean tasting and quite drinkable if a bit overpriced compared to tastier counterparts from other breweries. For instance Founder's RIS is a dollar or two more but loads better IMHO.

+1 to those who have pointed out that SA has done a lot to open peoples' minds (BMC drinkers) to better beer. It's like a gateway beer. I feel similar about Guinness Extra Stout- not the greatest beer but Guinness and Flying Dog pretty much ushered my tastebuds into the world of real beer.

Sam Adams got me into craft beer, so they will forever be in my heart! Are they a top-tier brewery? Of course not. But I really enjoy the majority of their beers, and always look forward to their seasonal variety packs. There are many better breweries out there, but for the quality/value ratio, it doesn't get much better.

My favorites are Double Bock, Noble Pils, and Latitude 48 IPA. Whitewhater IPA and Winter Lager are great brews too.

I've really grown fond of the Octoberfest. I tried it for the first time last year, bought a 6 pack at the local store, and it just really didn't do much for me, kinda had a bad after taste. This year, I had one on tap at a local place, and absolutely loved it! It's been my go to beer here lately unless I'm someplace that has lots of other choices.

As far as Sam Adams sucking? No way! Not fan of all their offerings, but I do like/can drink most of them.

Well asI said before. I'm appalled. I for one love SA. To the original poster. If your palate is so refined, then you are the biggest beer snob on the planet. I'm pretty picky in what I drink kind of a snob, but very open to try anything in the beer world. SA Adams is Successful for a reason, the majorityof people,and well respected judges, find their beer great. Look under most of their bottle caps and you will find what award that particular beer won and where. Call me crazy but I'm guessing they don't hand that out for no reason. I once saw a wine competition and they didn't have labels on the competitors glasses,it was anonymously decided. There are plenty of other bets I have tried that I liked better than SA, but could only get them in the bar. Ifv anyone wants to send me samples of their favorites brews. .... feel free. .lol

Oifvet0708 said:
Look under most of their bottle caps and you will find what award that particular beer won and where.

I used to think that as well, but I don't believe that's the case. I've taken the caps off of brand new styles that list awards from years before. The caps don't seem to be paired with particular styles. That would make for an expensive capping operation if they did.

Oifvet0708 said:
SA Adams is Successful for a reason, the majorityof people,and well respected judges, find their beer great. Look under most of their bottle caps and you will find what award that particular beer won and where. Call me crazy but I'm guessing they don't hand that out for no reason. I once saw a wine competition and they didn't have labels on the competitors glasses,it was anonymously decided.

I hate to play devil's advocate for a minute, but awards aren't everything. Have you seen the beers that medal in categories like Light American Lager? Mich Ultra, Coors Light, Steel freaking Reserve?!

I brew my own, like what I brew, and lots of others do too. I also appreciate small craft beers. Please remember that not all small craft breweries produce good beer, and not all larger brewers produce bad beer. There is definitely, a group of people, with a particular conceit, that believe that once a brewery grows past a certain number of barrels in production, they lost their mojo and "Sold out to the Man!". While Sam Adams is larger than most of the other craft brewers, they are TINY compared to Miller Coors, or Inbev. and they make very very good beer with quality ingredients. My favorites are Boston Lager (made with decoction Mashing), and Oktoberfest.

When U go to a restaurant with a bad craft beer selection they always have a Sam Adams brew or two and NB fat tire. That is when u appreciate them more, but never buy either at store

drainbamage said:
I hate to play devil's advocate for a minute, but awards aren't everything. Have you seen the beers that medal in categories like Light American Lager? Mich Ultra, Coors Light, Steel freaking Reserve?!

Well how many craft brewers brew that style? You could probably argue that the Light American Lager category was created just for BMC.

I know, I know. Like I said...devil's advocate. Just thought it was worth pointing out that awards shouldn't be the sole measure of quality.

I know, I know. Like I said...devil's advocate. Just thought it was worth pointing out that awards shouldn't be the sole measure of quality.

Agreed...but they usually point to a high quality beer. Jack's Abby has been putting out amazing beer for a few years and took down a much deserved gold medal this year. They are the best thing to happen to lagers.

I'm loving Jack's Abby too. Mass Rising is great. The prices are pretty damn good compared to some other brews I get in bombers. Framinghammer is freaking awesome. The only one I didn't care for was the Wet Hop Lager. It was too bland for me.

That Wee Heavy really pissed me off.
Smokey as all hell. Way to ruin what may have been a good beer. Oh look an over spiced Wit!
At least that Boston Lager is suitable for consumption.

Not at all, think they've earned the respect and have a stable of great recipes. They have a ton of varieties. That being said, some are more hit then miss. Some of their berry/fruit concoctions were downright awful or delightful experiments.

Boston is a great brew, their Lat 48 isn't great but will take that over others like Northern Tier.

If their beer really does suck, they've sure made a variety of "sucky" beers. You'd think by now they would have hit on at least one that doesn't "suck". Oh and I snapped this picture last time I was in Boston at the brewery.

Of coarse trophies don't matter, and I'm sure the people that give these things out probably know about as much about beer as your local Western Sizzlin waitress, hell I bet they don't even do blind taste tests, but you gotta admit they are nice and shiny! I can't read the plates on them in this picture, but they could be for sales figures, or "most sucky beers".

Off flavors? Too much hops? Too little hops? Too much specialty grain? These are all over the place. I've got a suspicion this has a lot mroe to do with the idea of Sam Adams, than their actual beers. Maybe Sam Adams is a little "too" every day for some folks on this forum. Maybe the fact it can be found in every liquor store is a "turn off". Maybe they're just "too good" for Sam Adams.

Oh well I'll mention it again for the good it e'll do me. To those of you who think Sam Adams sucks, quit buying it!!! Those of us that DO enjoy it, need those variety packs and seasonals and there's only so much!

While I do respect Sam Adam's beers I do believe they sometimes suffer during shipping and distribution. I 've had a few that might not have been stored in the best conditions. Those types of issues are probably related to growing pain for the brewery. That being said, this year's octoberfest is great!

I'll put this out there, me being from Massachusetts, moves to, say Texas, and decide to brew a beer called "Alamo", with "all the pride of Texas" as it's slogan, and when the idea takes off I then move all my brewing operations back to Massachusetts and start mass producing "Alomo" beer for Texans, It wouldn't take long to smell a rat!!!

alane1 said:
I'll put this out there, me being from Massachusetts, moves to, say Texas, and decide to brew a beer called "Alamo", with "all the pride of Texas" as it's slogan, and when the idea takes off I then move all my brewing operations back to Massachusetts and start mass producing "Alomo" beer for Texans, It wouldn't take long to smell a rat!!!

Not following...

Sounds like they are stating you start a micro Brewery in Texas. When you out grow the micro facility you set up a larger brewery in Massachuetts and continued using the same brewery name and beer names.

Not sure what this has to do with Sam Adams but other than Cherry wheat their stuff has been well above the SUCK meter.....Oh wait so far he is the only brewer/brewery in America that is running the biggest homebrew competition called the LONGSHOT, and if you win it everyone in America where Sam Adams beer is sold gets to try "your" recipe....yeah he hates homebrewers......the longshot six pack was wonderful by the way.... Love that the bottles are still pry off and can be recycled for my own homebrew and the labeles clean off fairly easily.....so as has been said before if you don't like it don't buy it...:tank:

nianticcardplayer said:
Not sure what this has to do with Sam Adams but other than Cherry wheat their stuff has been well above the SUCK meter.....Oh wait so far he is the only brewer/brewery in America that is running the biggest homebrew competition called the LONGSHOT, and if you win it everyone in America where Sam Adams beer is sold gets to try "your" recipe....yeah he hates homebrewers......the longshot six pack was wonderful by the way.... Love that the bottles are still pry off and can be recycled for my own homebrew and the labeles clean off fairly easily.....so as has been said before if you don't like it don't buy it...:tank:

Well I wouldn't say everywhere Sam Adams is sold. I've been collecting their bottles for years and only just this year found a Longshot on the other side of the country.

I do agree that their labels come off really easily. I prefer theirs for homebrew bottles.

Fuzzy, I understood the scenario that was being posited regarding opening up a microbrewery in one state and then relocating, but I'm completely lost as to what that has to do with the topic at hand and what point was being made.

Back