Yeast storage in the fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kulprit

Reaction score
I was curious how long the liquid yeast packs will stay in the fridge?

One of my buddies bought 3 batches about a month or two ago and we just haven't had the time lately to make it and I have been storing the yeast vials in the fridge.

I looked at it today and wondered if I should periodically shake it up or something?

No, I keep all my washed yeast in the fridge, I'm sure some of it might be 4 or 5 months by now and it'll be fine. Just make a starter before you brew. That way you know before you pitch.

I used a packet of Wyeast after 8 months in my fridge with no perceptible difference in performance, although most brewers I talk to say that after a couple of months you should use a "starter".

One of my friend keeps his liquid yeast in the fridge even past it's expiry date and surprisingly it worked! However, I would not recommend using expired yeast

nothing wrong with expired yeast. They're either alive or they're not they don't mold in the fridge or anything. Just make a starter to make sure they are alive. $6 is way to much to just throw away, IMO.

Yeah I should have mentioned we always do a starter.

Cool thanks guys - good to know as it might be another month before we get time to make these

I've used many yeasts that were expired over 1 year. I had not problems with any of them.

When I get some yeast at the LHBS I sometimes ask them if they have any expired yeast and they just give me 1 or 2...no cost. ;)

WTF!!!

Dude, you need to reshuffle some priorities and get brewing.

:D :D :D

Haha try explaining to the wife how brewing beer with the guys in the garage takes priority over clocking billable hours for a few extra mortgage payments.

I have a really busy season - and a dead season. Unfortunately we only started brewing at the very end of my dead season :(

Expanding hardware now to be fully ready to go once time allows

Back