Anyone have a clone for Phin and Matt's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munklunk

Reaction score
I just put down a few pints of Phin and Matt's Extrodinary Ale, by Souther Tier, last night. Man it was tasty. It had a great hop nose without being too bitter, and the abv was low enough to warrant multiple trips to the bar.

The info on their site says:

Alc. 5.6% by vol.
13.5 degrees plato
37 IBUs
6.9L
2-row Pale Malt
Caramel Malt
Kettle Hops: Cascade
Hop Back: Styrian Golding
Dry Hop: Cascade

I was wondering if anyone had a solid recipe for this easy drinking session beer.

I'm bumping this. Just bought another 6er of this and really like it. It may be, imho, the perfect session pale.

I'll give it a shot on Hopville, and see if I come close... I agree, it's a great beer !

Google pulls up this thread, but they're just guessing.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44023

i found this one too, but you are right, its all speculation. plus, everyone is listing the two obvious malts (2-row + crystal), but those guys brag about using 3 malts on the bottle label. so what is the 3rd malt???

hopville is a good place to look too, ive had no luck there either. apparently, this simple beer is too boring for all the stout hopheads out there :D

i found this one too, but you are right, its all speculation. plus, everyone is listing the two obvious malts (2-row + crystal), but those guys brag about using 3 malts on the bottle label. so what is the 3rd malt???

hopville is a good place to look too, ive had no luck there either. apparently, this simple beer is too boring for all the stout hopheads out there :D

Maybe two different grades of crystal?

Probably something like 40L and 120L mixed together.

I stumbled across this old thread in search of some ideas to fine tune what I have been working on over the last year or so... I have used this forum for advice for so long now, but have never found a topic that I felt passionate enough to post on. In this particular search I am discouraged at the lack of input, and I am driven to reply. So here goes...
I live about 4 miles from Southern Tier brewery & all local bias aside, I feel that PMX is MY perfect representation of what an APA should be. Don't get me wrong, I travel world wide for business & have a fairly broad spectrum of beers that I have tried & have really enjoyed. Personally, I can enjoy an IPA on occasion but I prefer the style a bit more sessionable as well as a bit less IBU's. When I brew this one, I err to the side of it being ever so slightly less hoppy than the original. I have adjusted this recipe to try to give everyone my best actual 'clone' attempt. As a home brewer I have honed in on this one in an attempt to replicate something local - that just couple years ago, only my local friends could appreciate, but more recently Southern Tier has received much broader recognition.
Disclaimer... I am at the point in my brewing, where I am confident that I can make the transition to all grain. I understand the nuances of so many different ingredients from my years of 'partial mash' brewing. I have started the collection of supplies that I will need, but partly due to conveniences of extracts + long lake effect snow winters making this recreation an indoor sport as a single father in daytime darkness, I have not done so as of yet. If that disqualifies me in your search... move on. My hope is that I may get a reply with an all grain recipe that could be the basis of my transition that I can compare this to! I am open to suggestions also...

I shoot for a 6 gallon batch size & end up around 1.050-1.052 OG

Steep from cold & hold @ 155° for 1hr:
.5# Maris Otter or Pale Ale malt
.5# Caramel 20
.5# Bairds Light Carastan
... I have on occasion added .5# Carapils but didn't discern a big difference.

4# NB Pilsen DME... add a little if using LME...
3# NB Gold LME (added late boil)

.5oz Cascade + .5oz Simcoe - 60min
.5oz Cascade + .5oz Simcoe - 15min + 1/2 Whirlfloc tab
.3oz Cascade + .3oz Simcoe - 0min
(I have considered just a little bit of sweet orange peel here?)
.3oz Cascade + .3oz Simcoe Dry hop.
(I Have also sub'd Falconers Flight here for that lemony zing I think I perceive in the original)

S-05... ferment at 62-64°

Transfer to secondary after 1 week
Dry hop at 15-20 days & bring temp up to 68-72 for another week.

Bottle condition 2-3 weeks.

I hope someone enjoys this one as much as I do...

Back