Priming Sugar tabs for failed carbonization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iXanadu

Reaction score
All of a sudden I've developed a problem with my process that is causing carbonization problems. Its happened in two batches, a high grav (72) IPA and a low-grav (42) porter. Both batches have a *few* bottles with great carbonization, but 90% are totally flat. Not even a decent hint of carbonization. IPA was bottled 10/7 and porter will hit 3 weeks Sunday (I know its a tad early). The IPA had about 6 out of 20+ bottles that had carb. We taste tested the porter at 1 week and had 1 & 1/2 bottles with great carb. Now at almost 3 weeks, 3+ bottles are flat.

Room temperature is 68-70 - no light. I think the temperature is adequate to generate some carb in 3 weeks even if its not optimum for a quick ferment.

The only culprit I can figure is poor mixing of the priming sugar. I'm using 5 ounces of corn sugar per 5.5 gallon batch. I take a couple quarts of the wort from the secondary and bring the sugar to a boil in -mini-brew-. Then I cool to the mid 70's and put it in the bottom of the bottling bucket. I start the siphon and curl the hose to stimulate a swirling action. I *thought* this would mix the sugar but now I'm doubtful.

I want to get some sugar tabs this week-end but my overactive mind anticipates some problems.

1) What problems am I introducing if the bottle *did* carb-up. The bottles do *pssst* when the cap is popped even when flat. I want to add the sugar without a total re-bottle. Am I risking an over-carboniated bottle bomb?

2) Any tips on how many/much stuff to put in the bottles?

3) Any problems with uncapping-sugaring-recapping bottles in this situation?

Finally, so that I'm not in this situation again (I have two batches to bottle this week-end):

4) Is 5 oz of sugar adequate?
5) Should I add some nuetral flavor dry yeast to bottling process?
6) Should I get a ladle and start stirring the bottling mix?

i found that 3/4 cup of confectioners sugar (close enough to corn sugar) weighs 85 grams and 5 oz is about 140 grams so it looks like it isn't for lack of sugar. Sorry but i guess i didn't really give you an answer.

Back