cold vs warm conditioning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandt9299

Reaction score
I will be on vacation for 2 weeks and have a porter thats been in the secondary for a week, my question is should I leave it at room temp (which can get up near 80) or stick it in my fridge @ 38. Other that to clarify (which really doesn't matter because its a porter) what advantages disadvantages does putting the whole carboy in the fridge have?

I'd leave it out of the fridge if I were you. The lower temperatures would cause the yeast to drop out of suspension quite a bit and would end up giving you problems when (if) you bottle carb. I'd say differently if you were talking about a lager, but a porter won't benefit much (if any) from secondary cold conditioning, and will cause problems later on down the line.

Yep the real question is if you're bottling or not....

If you're going to bottle it then it will take FOREVER to carb....if it does.

then it shouldn't matter if all the yeast floc out...

I'm sure someone else will chime in with a better answer but I'd say the fridge isn't a bad idea...again though I'm not too sure

I'd drop the carboy into a large plastic bucket, half filled with water. Then drape a towel or some other cloth over the carboy, with the bottom of the cloth in the water. This will wick the water up and keep the carboy cooler. If you can set an oscillating fan in the room the keep the air moving, that would help too.

Not that I have huge amounts of experience, but I find that cold conditioning seems to help every beer. If you're worried about 80+ temps just keg it and put it in the fridge.

Back