What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't suppose you can share the recipe or that. Shortbread is one of my all time faves.
Well the easy part is 1 pound of butter, 1 cup of sugar, 4 cups of unbleached all purpose flour and a pinch of salt. The rest is kinda involved. As briefly as I can: cream butter and sugar together. Make sure it all stays cold. Add flour and salt and form dough. Roll about 1/2 inch thick in rectangle (after 30 years, I still don't get the same dimensions twice in a row!) and mark off in 1"x2" pieces. Use a fork and prick each piece 3 times. Refrigerate dough at least 1/2 hour. (The tricky part is getting it into the refrigerator! I rollout on wax paper and transfer with a pizza peel) Preheat oven to 325F. Break apart pieces onto sheet pan. Place in oven, immediately turn temp down to 275F and set timer for 30 minutes. Cookies are ready when the tops are the color of light sand and the bottoms are lightly golden. Cool on a rack and store in airtight containers.
Sounds easier than it is! But it's worth the effort!

ForumRunner_20131216_204707.png

I've been wanting to try fermenting pickles. Could I bother you for your recipe/process?

I'm sorry, I never realized you had asked for this recipe. I'll dig it up and try to post it for ya. It's pretty simple. Kinda time consuming, but very simple.

Started a batch of lacto fermented Sauerkraut yesterday. Less than 24hrs and already nicely submerged in its own juices. Can't wait to try it!

5RBJN.jpg

Did you weight it down?

Always. Place some cabbage, pour some salt, pack it. Place some cabbage, pour some salt, pack it.

Then on top I usually place a Ziplock filled with water.

The crock I use is actually a Walmart glass cookie jar thing, and the opening is narrower than the inside. I'd like to get a small crock that has straight sides, but they are expensive and usually pretty large.

I need to get in a pottery class and make my own.

Oh, and it's the wife's birthday today, and she said she would be happy staying home if I made her soup. So, I think tonight the older daughter gets to learn how to make Zuppa Toscana, ala Olive Garden.

Always. Place some cabbage, pour some salt, pack it. Place some cabbage, pour some salt, pack it.

Then on top I usually place a Ziplock filled with water.

The crock I use is actually a Walmart glass cookie jar thing, and the opening is narrower than the inside. I'd like to get a small crock that has straight sides, but they are expensive and usually pretty large.

I need to get in a pottery class and make my own.

I use a 2 gallon food grade bucket I got from the LHBS. A small glass plate fits in it perfect and I use a mason jar full of water for weight. Next time you make it try giving the cabbage a nice massage with the salt. I kind of squeeze it.

When I was a kid & pop was laid-off,that's about all we had for dinner. Unless we caught some fish or shot something...

looks good! Thanks for serving!

Dude! If this is what you do while limited, I'd love to see what you could do without limitations! Thank you!
:mug:

Merry Christmas Folks!

Subsailor.... Yup.... I actually had a kitchen to play with up in the mountains of Wardak! Food wasn't easy to come by but we always managed to put something on the table for the holidays other than MRE's. This was Christmas Dinner 2012!

Ribeyes... Turkey... Beef Tenderloin.... Green Bean Casserole... Sweet Potato Casserole.... and Corn! Only thing missing was COLD BEER!

Wardak Christmas.jpg

Turkey Tetrazzini. Caserole made from leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. I'm cleaning out the freezer to prepare for the next week, which will be a full-on culinary blitzkrieg. Made with egg noodles, sauteed mushrooms, peas, swiss and parmesan chees, and a cream sauce to hold it all together.

_mg_7508-61656.jpg

Did a quick marinade kalbi (Korean style short ribs last night), eggplant and onion with soy garlic sauce, and steamed baby bok choy. Kalbi was tasty but not as good as usual - probably Ecuador I only marinated for 3 hours (vs 24) and used an apple instead of an Asian pear in the marinade.

Also bought 3 lbs of oxtail and 5lbs of marrow bones to make Pho for New Years, and a 6# rib roast for late Xmas dinner at my GMIL's.

After spotting my poor unloved wok in the basement a few weeks ago I thought my small 6" burner would be the ticket as my stove is underpowered for wok use and I would try it out in the spring.
Well spring came early, 72F today! I need to brush up on my techniques but I will present shrimp with snow peas:D

IMG_1013.jpg

After spotting my poor unloved wok in the basement a few weeks ago I thought my small 6" burner would be the ticket as my stove is underpowered for wok use and I would try it out in the spring.
Well spring came early, 72F today! I need to brush up on my techniques but I will present shrimp with snow peas:D

I love stir fry, but I always try to complicate it. I need to go back to the basics, and I'm starting with snow peas and shrimp!

Stir frying has become my preferred method of cooking veggies...except maybe grilling :D

I wanted some curry on Saturday but wanted to use some pizza dough I had in the fridge. I don't know exactly what you would call it, but here are the unholy results.
The curry was onions, tomatoes, chick peas and sweet potatoes.
I gotta say, it was surprisingly delicious.

curry 1.jpg

curry 2.jpg

Cheesy_Goodness said:
Stir frying has become my preferred method of cooking veggies...except maybe grilling :D

I wanted some curry on Saturday but wanted to use some pizza dough I had in the fridge. I don't know exactly what you would call it, but here are the unholy results.
The curry was onions, tomatoes, chick peas and sweet potatoes.
I gotta say, it was surprisingly delicious.

Looks like an awesome calzone to me!

There is so much awesomeness in this thread! :ban:
Passed: is that just parmesan topping your tetrazzini?

Chef: Gotta love the wok. Your shrimp & snow peas look great.

Cheesy: I think we're on the same page when it comes to preferred cooking methods. I think you've invented the east Indian calzone, or maybe more like a pasty.

Regards, GF. :mug:

I love stir fry, but I always try to complicate it. I need to go back to the basics, and I'm starting with snow peas and shrimp!

Ha ha. I do the same thing!

Many years ago I watched an old Chinese lady on a liberty boat ride from Hong Kong back to my ship make Wok cooking look simple. She built a small wood fire on a make shift grill pit and cooked up some lunch for her and the crew. She made it look simple. Very rustic set-up but the food smelled like it was coming from a 5-Star restaurant.

I didn't take any pics but yesterday we had a what I consider an old fashioned Sunday dinner. Pot roast in the crock pot with carrots, whole red potatoes, quartered onions, and button mushrooms. Seasond the beef with just some garlic powder and pepper, seared it in a hot skillet, laid it on a bed of onions and carrots and whole garlic cloves and a few bay leaves in the crockpot, covered it with more onions and carrots, added the potatoes and mushrooms and tossed in a pinch of two of sea salt. Added a cup of red wine and cooked it for about 6-7 hours. Made gravy with the juices and served with warm dinner roles. It came out really tasty. Savory. The beef was soft and juicy and the veggies although soft had just enough resistance in them to give a nice mouthfeel. No leftovers.

Dan said:
I didn't take any pics but yesterday we had a what I consider an old fashioned Sunday dinner. Pot roast in the crock pot with carrots, whole red potatoes, quartered onions, and button mushrooms. Seasond the beef with just some garlic powder and pepper, seared it in a hot skillet, laid it on a bed of onions and carrots and whole garlic cloves and a few bay leaves in the crockpot, covered it with more onions and carrots, added the potatoes and mushrooms and tossed in a pinch of two of sea salt. Added a cup of red wine and cooked it for about 6-7 hours. Made gravy with the juices and served with warm dinner roles. It came out really tasty. Savory. The beef was soft and juicy and the veggies although soft had just enough resistance in them to give a nice mouthfeel. No leftovers.
Sounds really good and just like we'd have at this old fashioned house.

You would not have to contend with those cold leftovers if that was here at my house. Man that looks awesome!

Thanks! Here at my house it's only my daughter and I, so that was a heck of a lot of food. I got a little carried away when I built that sucker. I guess it's the Texan in me. I ended up giving a bunch to my employees to take to the job site for lunch today..

Made a braised chuck roast with garlic last night with a side of kale. About to start work on a white potato pie for tomorrow.

I need to start remembering to take pictures of my meals. I made some Pad See Ew last night (one of my fall back meals as it quick and easy, but super good). Made Shrimp/Crawfish gumbo a few days ago, Im always cooking something up for friends

I started early today making things for tonight. I made my cheese log (no plastic wrap,so bomb instead. I use half a large container of Hell pf a Good french onion dip (All real dairy),with one bar cream cheese,softened & mixed in with a wooden spoon. One bar sharp cheddar,finely shredded & mixed in with the spoon. Press mixture into a small bowl lined with plastic (I wound up using a blue plastic shopping bag) cover & fridge a few hours to firm up.
Then remove & uncover onto a decent size serving tray or pizza pan covered with foil. Lightly press bread crumbs or nuts ground in a food processor onto the outside. Remove excess crumbs & serve with crackers arranged around the bomb.
I then use the remaining dip to mix with half a bar of shredded sharp cheddar,4 dashes Lee & Parrin's,& a little onion powder & red pepper mixed in for a savory chip dip.

Back