What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever tried a Caja China for pork or fowl? I fell in live with them after seeing a throw down with bobby flay, but couldn't bring myself to get one yet.

Like all grain, the equipment to do 10 pork butts is about $300, whereas the one that does 2 is $250. I could never decide on one vs the other (my need to cook 19 butts or a suckling pig non withstanding).

I made a very rich turkey stew yesterday with left over turkey & bits of stuffing & candied sweet potatoes. Fresh taters,carrots,celery hearts & sweet onion. I cut the onion so it seperates into petal shapes when cooked. Thickened it with broth & flour mix. After seasoning,one bowl will def do the trick. Cheap & easy to make a couple gallons of it that'll last a couple days.
Interesting how the candy part of the sweet potato thing enhanced the turkey flavors.

This was one of the easiest good meals ive made in awhile. Its a corn chowder.

1 can cream of potato soup
1 can corn
1 cup milk
bacon

Simmer it all together on medium heat until boiling, then good to eat! Pretty damn good for being this easy. I made a double batch and added 3 slices of cooked bacon, good shizz :D

2013-12-04 19.15.58.jpg

Sometimes,I like to make my mom's cream of potato soup,& sub in fresh sweet corn for the green beans. Colored & thickened with a lil roux but not like gravy at all. then add milk or half-n-half. Simmer till the right consistency & doneness. And don't skimp on the fresh cracked black pepper!

From this past Saturday, steaks ala Cheezy…

photo_zps6428017c.jpg

Perfectly seasoned and seared on the PG500 by the man himself, best steak I've had in years if not ever.

Nice meat!

I've been waiting a while to use that!!! Must be dirty Friday up here in Massholeville... and the rain must have washed my mind right into the gutter. :ban:

learned how to make peanut butter balls today. They are pretty easy for how amazing they are! Just mix crunchy peanut butter, powered sugar, a stick of butter and rice krispies together, make them into balls and roll then in melted chocolate :D

2013-12-07 14.13.06.jpg

finsfan said:
learned how to make peanut butter balls today. They are pretty easy for how amazing they are! Just mix crunchy peanut butter, powered sugar, a stick of butter and rice krispies together, make them into balls and roll then in melted chocolate :D

O. M. G. I'm drooling over here!

They're even better with the crunchy peanut butter mixed with powdered sugar & honey,rolled & then diped in chocolate!

Just did Cajun style BBQ shrimp using a friends Nomiku immersion circulator and a little 420 IPA. Finished off in a blazing hot pan for about 60 seconds. My stomach is still pissed about the butter (2 sticks) but it was so worth it.

Broccoli Cheese Soup. It was ok. Maybe on par with the best broccoli cheese soup I've had at a restaurant, but I think it works best as a cup of soup previous to an entree. That much cheese soup is just too much cheese soup. I also threw together a cheddar/chive loaf in the bread machine to go with it.

Oh, Just an FYI, I WILL be making some sourdough bread from a starter that the lovely and talented Melana sent me. It took off great and I've been feeding it right along. I'm not sure how much I need to cook with, but I hope to have a minute to look up a recipe here today. It's all bubbly and smells like sour paste.

I think I forgot to thank her for sending it, so I'm doing it now, publicly! :)

Oh, Just an FYI, I WILL be making some sourdough bread from a starter that the lovely and talented Melana sent me. It took off great and I've been feeding it right along. I'm not sure how much I need to cook with, but I hope to have a minute to look up a recipe here today. It's all bubbly and smells like sour paste.

No need for thanks. :)

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/
Lots of good information here on bread making.

I was going to make some sourdough up to rise last night, but got a headache right before work ended and then after a brief rest I had to help at a Band Concert at the high school, which had few volunteers, so I had to stay late cleaning up and putting away. Then off to bed when I got home. Hopefully tonight I can get the dough mixed up and rising for bread tomorrow.

Also, in case you didn't know, once you get a starter going, you will be making more starter than you know what to do with unless you refrigerate it, freeze it, or something. I'm talking Tribbles of starter!

i don't feed mine very often unless i'm baking. There are plenty of recipes that can use up the extra starter (cakes, cookies, etc). It's like feeding a habit!

ja09 said:
Finally sliced up my first home cured capicola last weekend. Turned out great! This is a fantastic and easy hobby. Glad I have 5 lbs more curing, right next to the kegs :mug:

I'm trying to type while drooling. How long did this take?

Around this time of year we usually do something (sort of) similar. Instead of peanut butter and rice krispies we schwack some oreos into a power and combine with cream cheese and dip in chocolate. Not a bad dessert for a few bucks :D

Also, in case you didn't know, once you get a starter going, you will be making more starter than you know what to do with unless you refrigerate it, freeze it, or something. I'm talking Tribbles of starter!

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago and decided **** it, I'm making pancakes with all this starter. Peanut butter and apple bits went in along with brown sugar...It was actually very tasty

Around this time of year we usually do something (sort of) similar. Instead of peanut butter and rice krispies we schwack some oreos into a power and combine with cream cheese and dip in chocolate. Not a bad dessert for a few bucks :D

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago and decided **** it, I'm making pancakes with all this starter. Peanut butter and apple bits went in along with brown sugar...It was actually very tasty

Sourdough pancakes sounds awesome! I also dont feed my starter unless I am baking. I just keep 1 cup of it in the fridge, take it out the day before baking, mix with 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 water, use half and fridge the rest. Always works great :D

Back