wyders pear cider recipe needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had their pear cider before, so I'm semi-familiar with it. I've just stuck with making regular apple ciders, but pear should be about the same. Not sure what the SG of pear juice is, but I'm thinking 5 gallons pear juice (no preservatives... ascorbic acid/vitamin C are fine) should put you in a 6-7% range (the pear juices I've tried tend to be a little sweet). If you want to bump the ABV add a couple extra pounds of sugar. Let it ferment out, stabilize it, and back sweeten with sugar, Splenda, or frozen pear concentrate.

Could be. I was at a restaurant/brewery not to long ago, that had Wyder's Raspberry Cider on tap. The color... light straw... not red/pink. Flavor was pretty one dimensional too. Though I was drinking Blue Moon at the time and the bartender told me that people had been mixing the raspberry cider and Blue Moon 50/50. I tried a little bit. Just ok by me... raspberry flavoring was a little overpowering. Might be good for someone though who didn't want all the sweetness of the cider and wanted some beer notes in there.

Back to the original post though... I'd still just go with fermenting pear juice. Looking up a recipe for perry might help you out as that is the true name for a pear cider.

I had thought either all pear or 50 50 pear and apple. Good experiment. Wyders is really clear I wonder if a clarifyer would be needed. Or it might clear out just like apfelwein. Defenitely backsweeten with pear juice or concentrate. and keg force carb. What yeast though? Nottingham? Montrachet

I've got a brew on now made from 4 litres apple juice, 1 tin of canned pears and 500g burnt honey. The pear flavor is there, but you'd be better off flavoring it with pear juice afterwards I reakon.

unmggggggggggggggg.... zombie thread.

I never tried this, but I think if I did I would use apple juice and hit it with about a pound of sugar - kind of like a weker apfelerin, then add some pear concentrate or flavoring at bottling with a bit of sugar.

i know this is old & recently revived...

but I've been looking for a pear cider recipe too.

not apple/pear not apple/pear/toffy...

just pear?

VegasJ said:
i know this is old & recently revived...

but I've been looking for a pear cider recipe too.

not apple/pear not apple/pear/toffy...

just pear?

Here's one I tried from store bought canned 100% juice, in secondary at moment and tasted good at racking, going towards dry. The primary fermentation appeared to stop really quickly, hence the quick rack over to secondary, thought something had gone wrong but all was good.

Goulbourn Valley Pear Cider -GVP

1 Dec 2012 - 1715 hrs
1 Gallon Batch

200g dark brown sugar
1 kg of GV Pear halves mashed in
own juice
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Topped up with GV canned Pear
juice (4.5 x 850mL cans used)
5g pectinol
EC-1118 yeast rehydrated

OG - 1065

7 Dec 2012
Stopped bubbling. Racked off fruit and lees.

SG - 1010

Topped up with 850mL can pear juice, 5 g pectinol, 7g malic acid,
1/2 tsp vanilla essence, 1 cup apple juice.

Only used apple juice to finish the top up, if I had more pear juice on hand I would have used that.

A few steps are unconventional and were included on the run so I have no educated explanation for using them!!!

Back