Decreasing bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runnermikedmd

Reaction score
So I brewed up an IPA this weekend, and now am worried its going to be a bit too bitter. Beer Smith puts it at 63.4 and I was looking to get in the mid 40s. I had 4 lbs of light DME and 1.5 lbs Wheat DME, along with 1 lb of crystal as a partial mash. 1 oz Amarillo at 60 min, 1.5 centenial at 45 min, 0.5oz amarillo at 30 and another 1 oz of cenential at 30 min. When I figured my recipe, I had another 2 lbs of light DME, but I didnt end up using it. Its been in primary since saturday with a good fermentation going (American Ale II Wyeast) and I am planning on moving it to secondary next weekend.

Could I boil up 2 lbs of light DME in 1 gallon and add it to either the primary or secondary to offset the bitterness? or maybe 1 lb of corn suggar? Or any other ideas?

Thanks so much!

Just let it age. 63.4 isn't too terribly high for an IPA and it WILL mellow as it ages.

+1. It could be awesome as you brewed it, and you could always use it to blend (at serving time) with a beer that turned out too sweet.

Also, don't try to tell your yeasties when they're done. Rack only when they're well and truly done - even for low-gravity beers, I go ten days minimum.

Back