Quick Question...First Brew In Progress!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpsurfer

Reaction score
My first batch of brew is currently bubbling away happily on the stove, but I've got a quick question about pitching the yeast and I'm hoping someone here gets this in time to help!

I'm brewing an extract kit for a nut brown ale and the instructions for the kit say to pitch the yeast into the wort when it cools below 90 degrees, give it a stir and let it go.

The instructions on the side of the yeast packet that came with the kit say to re-activate it in 100 degree water for 15 minutes before stirring into the wort.

Which way should I go?!!!! I should also mention that I don't have a thermometer to measure the temps other than the sticker one that came with my fermenter kit (I'll need to buy a decent thermo or two ASAP).

Thanks everyone! Hopefully my first attempt won't be a complete failure!

CP,
Others will be able to tell you better than me, but my thoughts would be that either way will be o.k. The yeast know what to do. Your job is to introduce them to their prom date, the wort ;). Just make sure the wort is cooled adequately when introducing the yeast.

When you get a chance, check out some of the stickys on this board. It's informative.
Here's another blog written by a frequent poster that should make you feel better about your baby.
http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Note to Rev. - I hope I'm not stepping on your toes by posting this. :)

Personally I hydrate my yeast in water for 15 minutes BUT you can sprinkle directly into your wort.

To hydrate, you will need to sanitize a cup. Boil some water and let it cool to warm (not hot to the touch). It doesn't need to be exactly 100°. Sprinkle the yeast on the water and just let it sit there for 15 - 30 minutes. Give it a stir with a sanitized spoon and pour it in.

To sprinkle, just sprinkle it on top of the wort after it's cooled and aerated.

RELAX, this is fun!

You really want to be careful with these temps. Since you don't have a thermometer you should err on the side of caution and pitch and rehydrate in the mid-70's. Do not pay attention to either instruction you got (I mean on the packages not the posts above.) Both are too warm.

If you want and since this is your first brew you can skip the rehydration and just pitch the dry yeast directly on top of the beer.

Make sure the beer temp is not over 75 when you pitch!

Back