cost for grains..hops.. yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labratbrew

Reaction score
Does it cost all of you around $30-$40 to brew a 5 gallon batch? (Of course depends on type of beer)

my last couple batches cost me $13, and 18$ for 5.5 gal batches. I get my 2 row for $.50 a pound, and wheat for $.55 lb. Also I used harvested and washed yeast, so I had no cost in that. Most of my money in a batch is in the hops.

Backporchbrewery said:
It runs me about $15-20 per batch. I try to buy grain and hops in bulk to cut the costs.

Nice! I'm just curious.. I'm wanting to hand out most of my beer and just wanted to know how much it would cost me. :)

It runs me about $15-20 per batch. I try to buy grain and hops in bulk to cut the costs.

Ditto. Bulk or online grain, plus hops in bulk, plus harvesting/washing/splitting/banking/making-sweet-love-to yeast cute costs.

Now, when I start getting into IIPAs that are high in citra/amarillo/other propitiatory hops , then we start getting into the $30-40 range. Then they get oxidized from poor dry hopping and siphoning techniques. Then I get violent :mad:

Baspronick said:
my last couple batches cost me $13, and 18$ for 5.5 gal batches. I get my 2 row for $.50 a pound, and wheat for $.55 lb. Also I used harvested and washed yeast, so I had no cost in that. Most of my money in a batch is in the hops.

I grow my own hops... But yet to get into propagating my yeast... But I like to learn how!

The basic AG kits are about $15-20
The yeast 3-7
Water less than $4

So about $22 to 31+
I started washing yeast last year, so that comes off. On average, $30 with AG kits for me.

Buying in bulk really knicks the price down. Waiting for my region.

Now... If I factored equipment cost into each batch, I'm sure I wouldn't want to know.

Just an fyi, I usually get a bag of 2-row, pilsner, or marris otter malt (currently have all 3). I split bulk hop orders with my brew club members to get the most varieties for the cost (our last order averaged $14.50/lb hops shipped). A simple blonde ale costs me around $15, IPAs around $25. I have enough hops to last me probably 2 years, and enough grain for at least 4 months. Me and a friend will often order 5-10lbs of specialty grains each for the popular ones like c-40, c-120, carapils, etc. Overall it saves a lot of extra shipping costs throughout the year. And like the others said, yeast washing can save you $4-7 per batch.

Backporchbrewery said:
Just an fyi, I usually get a bag of 2-row, pilsner, or marris otter malt (currently have all 3). I split bulk hop orders with my brew club members to get the most varieties for the cost (our last order averaged $14.50/lb hops shipped). A simple blonde ale costs me around $15, IPAs around $25. I have enough hops to last me probably 2 years, and enough grain for at least 4 months. Me and a friend will often order 5-10lbs of specialty grains each for the popular ones like c-40, c-120, carapils, etc. Overall it saves a lot of extra shipping costs throughout the year. And like the others said, yeast washing can save you $4-7 per batch.

Holy moley! That's dirt cheap for craft beer!!

Where are you getting 2-row prices like that?

Holy moley! That's dirt cheap for craft beer!!

I think it depends on the recipe, I figure most of recipes are around $15-20
base malt- $5-7
speciality grains- $3-6
yeast-$1-2 (wash, reuse)
hops- $2-10

just did the cream of three crops recipe, $3 for flaked wheat and corn, $5 for base malt, $1 for hops, yeast $1 (third generation of us-05)
$10 for 5 gallons of beer!

i get them at a brew pub. they buy them in pallet sized bags, and let me buy at cost. Homebrew club perks!

Plus, i get 10 % off at a lhbs opened by a member of the club.

Anywhere from $10-$25
I buy grain in bulk. Bulk grain costs me about $0.90/lb.
I calculate yeast a practically free, It gets re-used over and over.
Hops are the only thing I haven't bought in bulk yet, and cost me anywhere from $1.50-$2.50/oz.
Just harvesting and washing your yeast can save you $5-$10, depending on the yeast you use.

My house IPA costs me about $19 for 5 gallons (4 oz of Amarillo= $10, 10 lbs of base malt= $9, yeast is harvested Pacman)

I don't normally do 5 gallon batches anymore because I don't go through it fast enough but I looked at my costs for a one gallon batch and scaled up to $15-20 for a five gallon batch. I yeast wash and buy bulk hops but alas do I not buy my grains in bulk. Obviously if I'm not getting through 5 gallons very quickly a 50lb. sack of grain is going to sit around forever.

If you can find a local club that does bulk purchases, that's your ticket to cheaper brewing. We recently did a bulk buy that was 5-6 pallets big, our 2-row was 25$ per 55lb bag. Before that I was still saving money at the $40/bag price my local grain processor was selling me 2-row for. Same thing works with hops and yeast too.

I will still purchase some specialty malts from local shops (and thankfully we've got a few new ones now) but for the most part even if there's no bulk buy, it's cheaper to pay 40-55 bucks for a 55lb sack of base malts.

Back