Issue with the flavor,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajoha2003

Reaction score
I have issue with the taste of the pre made wine expert kits. I fallowed the instruction to the dot except the least stop. Because the wine that I making is for me dad and he hates the sulfide taste in wine we skipped the addition of the metabisulphite. he had a special request to add some power to the wine and he add to the mix in the final stage a 0.7 liter of 96% spirit to a 6 gallon batch. Now the wine is ready to bottle but the taste of if I bad. It doesn’t taste like wine at all… I just like strong water down juice. Can anybody help? Any advice how get I back to some kind of wine form. I was thinking to back sweeten it with fresh grape juice to get some wine taste and add some sugar to get the balance restore.

The campden isn't really necessary,so that's not the issue.

Did you add the alcohol at the beginning of the fermentation? If you want to fortify it with stronger spirits,do that before bottling,after fermentation.

Maybe you killed the yeast off with the spirits...

I add the spirits after the fermentation ended and after i racked it. From me memory it was add at 28-30 day there was no activity for the longest time. So I think it’s not the yeast. I thinking because it was made from a kit the wine just became watered down after adding that amount of extra liquid.

Kits are MADE to have a bottle or so of water to top up. Unless you added a crapload of alcohol, that shouldn't do it.

Besides, wine is NOT high in alcohol, so why mess it up by adding some??? Can't blame anyone but the guy with the bottles of spirit in his hand.

Yikes, you added a lot of alcohol, I'd let it age a bit and see if the it mellows out.

Back