If you hold your nose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chezhed

Reaction score
I got caught short on grain a while back when my bag of 2 row was infested with bugs because I had forgotten to seal it well and left it in the garage. I found some DME that had been around a while...a year....and tried to whip up a batch. Got decent gravity readings and put it in a keg with corn sugar a couple months back. It's been sitting at 73 degrees since.
I put it in the fridge/kegerator yesterday...tappped it for taste today when it got cold.
smells like vomit:drunk: but has a nice hop flavor:eek:

the tap line was recently cleaned and sat with a bit of sanitizer in it but I don't think that contributed to any off aromas.

If you hold your nose...it ain't bad...but as we know smell is a big portion of taste.

Any ideas? cause? hope? never had this before....may actually be the first batch of beer I throw out....after 100s. Oh well...I was due I guess. Had my first blowoff a few weeks ago....

Might do it...worth a try. Got plenty of Williamette I could put in....never dry hopped in the keg..always figured I'd get a clog eventually but in this case, who cares;)

dump and brew again. damn, life is short. If you want to drink something that tastes nasty, go to your local cowboy bar.

OP never said it tasted nasty, just that it smells bad. Not everyone has endless resources and time to be able to just dump and brew again. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I say give it a shot, whats it really going to hurt other than a couple oz of hops and taking up some keg space for a while?

I recently had a batch that had a strong DMS flavor/aroma and after 2 weeks of dryhopping with 2 oz of cascade, it was not only drinkable but pretty damn good. Make sure you use a nylon or some other mesh hop bag, or else you will get clogs.

Now if that is your only keg and you are waiting for this batch to be done before starting a new one, I agree with pp, dump it and make way for something new and better.

Might do it...worth a try. Got plenty of Williamette I could put in....never dry hopped in the keg..always figured I'd get a clog eventually but in this case, who cares;)

Use a stainless steel herb ball and put 1 oz of pellet hops in it, no clogs or mess.

Back