Going backwards?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droot

Brewing since 1991
Reaction score
I brewed for about 7 years, then took 10 years off and now I am back to it.

In the beginning (the first time around) I used ONE kit, then started buying extract for a couple of batches while I built a simple brewery out of (2) 1/2 and one 1/4 keg. Been doing the all grain thing since. I always used good ingredients, NO sugar and only corn or oatmeal if it fit the style.

I was a fan of Wyeast 1007 for most brews with a one gallon starter in a 10 + batch. Last oatmeal stout I brewed I used 1084. (Its awesome!)

Today I brewed my third batch this month (also since I got away from it).

Maris Otter, whole leaf hops step mash. I tried Safele 05. Yep, dry yeast. First time since way back in the beginning.

I read so much about it here, I had to give it a shot. MUCH simpler, cheaper, easier.......

I rehydrated the yeast like the website says. It sat for a little longer than I wanted so I fed it a couple of shots of wort for a kick in the butt while I was going from cooled in the brew kettle to fermenter.

I also used 1 minute of 02 blown into the drain of the brew kettle with a 3/8" hose, no stone 10-15 psi. This gives me a foam head to the top of the brew kettle. I am a weldor, so 02 is free. (so is Co2)

I don't know if I am going backwards by using the dry, or just keeping it simple like I prefer (like me).

If I were to use liquid, It would have been wyeast 1056 for this batch.

Just a side note, I got 83% efficiency last batch and 82% this time. I am quite happy with this.

What do you folks think? I did save some money because I didn't have to purchase the DME for a starter and got to brew on Dads day because I didn't have a starter yet. 2 packs of safeale cost about the same as a liquid starter with out the DME. (another $5.00)

Fermenter (1/2 keg) is in my bedroom with the air conditioner on. Just a few specs of foam on top now. Pitched at 70f, My room is 65 f.

David :)

I used to use liquid yeast exclusively. After a hiatus from brewing, I started up again last fall. Since then, I've used S-05 for 80% of my beers (and have also tried S-04). They're both great yeasts, produce quality beers (definitely comparable to 1056). I also appreciate the convenience and cost savings. Personally, I can't see ever going back to 1056.

I guess I was wondering if anyone did a side by side comparison. Its the next morning and I have fermentation. I skimmed about 6 cups of "stuff" off the top. A lot of it looked like hop pellet. I will see how it looks tonight.

This safale seems to be OK so far. I have some S-04 for my next brew.

When I started, all that was available was red star and Edme yeast. Things seem to have improved.

David :)

There are even good dry lager and wheat (American wheat, not hefeweizen) yeasts. I rarely brew anything that requires the flavors of a specialized yeast. so dry yeast works for me.

Back