9 Gallon Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoTDude

Reaction score
Hey all,

Newb here. Is it better to have a fatter 9 gallon brew pot or a taller 9 gallon brew pot? I will be brewing 5 gallons. My guess is, it doesn't really matter. I bought a camp chef high output single burner stove and it does fit so I'm good there.

On a sad unrelated note, we cleaned the pot (aluminum) with oxyclean. It sounds like we could possibly salvage it if we scrub the insides and boil water for 30 minutes or so? True??

Thanks !!!!

You want an oxide layer on the inside of your aluminum pot. Here is a picture of my last pot that I conditioned. Just make sure that there is not a white film on the inside surface.

As far as the size of the pot, a wider pot will heat faster but will also have a larger amount of boil off during the cooking process.

0810011637.jpg

Give it an hour starting off with hot tap water.

This is your goal (or something close to it)
3070-nicely-conditioned-al-kettle.jpg

I got pretty much all there with the first boil. Make sure your water isn't being filtered or softened. If it is, try to get water that's not. If not possible, then just boil until you get a nice dark coating inside. You can pretty much forget about getting the lid treated, unless you have something large enough to submerge it in water and get it boiling.

I would also install a 1/2" SS ball valve in that bad boy ASAP. Better to do it before you put the oxide layer on it (IMO)... I did mine post oxide layer. While I did start off with a brass valve, I've since migrated/upgraded to 3 piece SS ball valves on anything that can be boiled in. Plus my keg mash tun (still in progress, but should be fully assembled properly this weekend)... Shout out to NorCal for solid products and GREAT customer service/support...:mug::tank:

Back