Kegerator started making popping noise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
A few days ago I thought I closed the door of my kegerator but I guess it was not fully closed and there was a little gap and the temperature went up by 10 degrees. I carefully moved it (its on wheels) and readjusted the temperature to my liking (42F) and noticed that the kegerator started making popping / cracking noises when the compressor turns off.

Googling the topic I found this - What is most likely happening is the Thermostat is controlled by a gas filled line to turn the unit off/on. As this line expands and contracts to control the thermostat you'll hear a popping noise when it engages/disengages.

Is this something that I should be concerned with? Some people on micromatic forum report that theirs does that and they just live with it. It is kind of annoying but it only happens once and hour or so and my apartment makes similar noises from the baseboard heating sometimes so I can def live with it. I just hope that it doesnt do any damage to my ~6month young kegerator.

What the guy is describing must be happening to me. I sat by the kegerator until the unit turned on and went it started turning off thats when the sound came from the kegerator. My kegerator is a 3-4 feet away from where my baseboard heating is so at first I wasnt sure where the sound was coming from.

Any ideas, suggestions are appreciated.

Could be the thermostat and if it is I wouldnt worry about it. However the compressors used in fridges are not made to run 24/7 and are made to run in short bursts at a time. Leaving the door opens ensured it was running nonstop untill you found the open door. The compressor may have started to overheat or just start to wear down in the long running environment and when it turns off it might be knocking(kind of like a car engine knock) if so then again live with it and don't worry about it because you can't fix compressors so use it untill it dies.

This is a young kegerator (~6 months) and it was running under pressure for 12 hours or so. What I did today before I left to work I completely unplugged it from power and will try plugging in today. I want to get 5+ years out of this bad boy.

If it still works I am sure it is fine, there are countles old fridges out there that make noise when they shut down and still live a long and cold life. The thermostat is probably an easyish replace/repair and if you find the thermosat that would be one way to tell where the clicking is comming from.

I was opening it to take measurments of the water / thermometer I had in there to make adjustments to 42F. I normally dont open that often.

Back