Secondary carboy overflowing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EXL

Reaction score
452828155_cb12bd07bc_o.jpg

what should I do? I put my stout in the secondary a week after initial placement in my primary, and now it's doing this. It is overflowing a little tiny bit...what should I do?

Remove airlock. Cover carboy opening with a small piece of foil. Clean and sanitize airlock.

Sanitize a thief/turkey baster, remove foil and 2-3" of beer from carboy and recap with airlock.

Sample the sample.:D

RDWHAHB...

not to be a slacker, but if I pull out the airlock, dump it, and refill it, isn't that good enough or not?

With that little headspace in the carboy, I think a blow-off tube would have been a better choice over an airlock. If you rack too early, or a lot of CO2 comes out of solution and foams, the foam will build up quickly in the neck of the carboy.

If you have a carboy cap, use it and some hose to make a blow-off tube into a bucket of sanitizer. I am not sure if you know what I am referring to -- if not, I will dig up a picture. There have been a bunch posted lately.

homebrewer_99 said:
If you knew to do that then maybe you shouldn't have asked the question. ;)

It looks like there is garbage in the neck of the carboy. I'm just telling you what I would do. :)

I didn't want to assume, we all know where that gets us

Willsellout said:
sure, as long as you don't mind doing it another 10 times.

I looked at it today, going to have to do it again after work

paranode said:
How much activity are you getting in the secondary? Maybe you racked it too early?

I didn't appear to be doing squat in the primary. Now in the secondary, it's bubbling a little bit, enough to put foam in the airlock

FlyGuy said:
With that little headspace in the carboy, I think a blow-off tube would have been a better choice over an airlock. If you rack too early, or a lot of CO2 comes out of solution and foams, the foam will build up quickly in the neck of the carboy.

If you have a carboy cap, use it and some hose to make a blow-off tube into a bucket of sanitizer. I am not sure if you know what I am referring to -- if not, I will dig up a picture. There have been a bunch posted lately.

I know what you are talking about, just don't have one....maybe I'll get one

just take the top cap off of the airlock and add a piece of tubing to that and put it in some water....I use bleach in my water so I don't worry about it getting weird beasties in it.

I dumped out the airlock again yesterday afternoon after work. Checked it today, and it's clean!

Hopefully this is heading in the right direction! :mug:

Back