Safale-05 lag times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale yesterday, did everything as i normally do but as of right now no activity. 18+ hours seems a little long, this is the first time i've used 05, is this normal? It was aerated well. I know relax....., it's hard to relax when you've got $15+ tied up in hops!

I use '05 all the time and pitching a fresh packet can give you 24-36 hour lag times.

Harvest up that huge yeast cake after this batch and you'll have fermentation within 10 hours on your next one. :D

When I pitch dry, I airate with pure O2, and just pitch into the carboy and shake, and I normally have a 24hr lag time. I don't hydrate it.

Rehydrating starts you off with the most viable cells from the start. O2 will lengthen the lag a bit while the yeast reproduces and then their count will be up to suitable levels. Rehydrating definitely shortens lag time if you're nervous about that sort of thing.

I pitched dry, but it's going now, Notties never takes that long that's why I was worried. :eek:

Latest posts

Back