saving sour mash for later use.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
Hi. I've been looking into brewing my first sour beer. Since making the sour mash is a time consuming process i was wondering if there was a way to make a bunch of it right now and use it for several batches. I was thinking i could do the sour mash as usual and then boil the sour wort and pitch yeast and let it ferment to produce alcohol to preserve the sour product. I was thinking of using first runnings or adding some dme to the boil so the alcohol was higher for better preservation for long term storage. I would then blend this sour stuff with another brew to make my final sour beer. Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea or does it sound like a good plan?

In princple I think this is doable. Maybe fridge or freezer storage.

Why not make the sour mash and then can it? some mason jars with the lids sucked down will last nigh on forever - as a kid my parents would can apple sauce every fall and in the spring march/april it would be finally consumed. If you did that with your mash you won't have to try and ferment or anything first, just can it. If a lid didn't suck down, put it straight in to the fridge where any bacteria that finds its way in through lid will be slowed by the cold.

Canning it is actually a good idea, i didn't think of that. Sour mash is probably acidic enough that a pressure cooker won't be necesary to keep it botchulism free.

Really, if you are going to blend it and do all of this, wouldn't it make more sense to just brew up everything you want to brew and be done? You're still going to have to store it all the same. I don't think I would waste the effort of adding steps.

Back