Copper Pots and Wort Chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to add and upgrade to my Brewing arsenal and wonder what the general opinion was on Copper Brewing Pots and Wort Chillers. Specifically;

1 - Will the Copper Pot be a safe bet for boiling with in regards to sanitation
2 - I read the Wort Chiller should be sub-mersed into the Wort approx. 30 minutes before end of boil than used. True? Not True?

Thanks,
J

I run a copper immersion chiller, and it is fine for my needs, but I clean it before hand, and then sterilize with the boil- I think that a stainless boiler might be better, since it would be easier to clean (no oxidation, etc....) than the copper one would...also, wouldn't a copper brewpot be big bucks?

as for the time for the chiller in the boil, I normally only do about 5 minutes. Haven't had an issue yet.

Nothin wrong with copper pots, aren't stills still made of copper? Most houses still have copper plumbing too. Except for the lead solder, of course.

Copper pots are well thought off in the PNW. Some of the small professional brewers still use them. They tend to be passed down from expanding brewery to startup brewery. Copper has to be clean of tarnish before you brew, but that isn't a problem. A couple lucky souls have copper pots and we are all in awe of them at Hop Madness.

Back