Anyone have a collection of CHEAP AG recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
I am starting the AG process this week for the first time and I am starting with the Haus Pale Ale from the Bee Cave Brewery. I have obviously never tried it but see how simple it is, how inexpensive, and also how many rave reviews it has received.

Looking to find all the cheap/broke AG brewers on this board, like myself, who have collected great yet inexpensive AG recipes.

List em here - Thanks

BM's Centennial Blonde
Orfy's Mild Mannered

Just keep the gravity pretty low (< 1.050 IMO) and the hops to a minimum and you'll have cheap recipes every time.

Try a SMaSH. Single Malt Single Hop. They are cheap to put together and educational. I did a 2 Row Pale with Cascade hops a while back for about $16. As simple as it was, it turned into one of my favorites.

+1 on Smash. Its a great cheap way to get your AG process down and learn about ingredients at the same time. Just look at what kinds of hops and malts are used in your favorite beers and start using them.

I would recommend buying 2 things in bulk to keep your prices waaaay down:

1) 2 or 3 varieties of hops from www.hopsdirect.com You will get 1 lb of hops here for around $10. This compared to 2 ounces for $6 at most retailers.

2) buy a 25 pack of Nottingham yeast for around $30 online (AHBS). This compared to around $5 per pack of Safeale 05 at most retailers.

Then, when you put together a recipe, all you need to purchase is grain. You should be able to find base grain for around $1 / lb and a few ounces of specialty grain for $1.50 - $2 per lb.

Any recipe that you put together should be around $0.35 - $0.50 per beer if you do it this way.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the responses so far!

SMASH looks very interesting! You find a SMASH recipe you love and then all you'd have to do is grow that strain of hops for the beer, keep the yeast cakes for future brews and buy malt in bulk and you'd be making batches for under $10 if I'm not mistaken!!!!!!!!

Back