Need help- bine outgrowing temp. support

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groundhog

Reaction score
I screwed up- did not build a trellis before my nugget bines first year ) started growing...

At about 2 ft., I trained the one bine onto a 6 ft. bamboo stake- flimsy as hell.

Thought I would have time to build a trellis and transfer the bine to a chord.

Next thing I know, the bine is about 7 ft. tall and growing rapidly. There is about a ft. or so, still pretty sturdy, growing w/ no support...

Any suggestions?

Thanks much!
Groundhog

Build a trellis quickly ;)

You can take 2 10' pieces of PVC and make a pole. Drill 4 holes in the top and run string from all those holes and anchor it into the ground. Just use about 1" or larger PVC. The hops will climb it. I have about 200 plants and next year I will no longer use twine...I am just going to use pvc poles. Makes things much easier. I have 17 plants going right up PVC this year as a test, and they are doing fine. They have no problems climbing the PVC.

At any rate that would be the quickest way I know of. Unless you have something you can tie a length of sisal off to, like a house eve or something like that. Last year my first year nugget went to 32' (up a 16' trellis and back down till the tip hit the ground). They like to grow and are (out of 11 varieties) the fastest growers I have.

:mug:

if you have access to any hardwood areas and you can find a small tree growing in a very dense environment, they tend to grow very straight and with few branches (a pole) about 15-20 ft. tall. you could easily pound a 6ft. T-post about half way into the ground and strap the pole to it. i normally run a training string to about a foot above the support for the pole, that way when it's time for harvest i can take the pole down without having to cut any of the vines. depending on what type of tree you use, the poles last anywhere from 3-5 years.

Back